Allison Mollenkamp

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Allison Mollenkamp

Hometown: Jefferson City, MO

Major: English and Theatre

Relationship Status: Happily in a relationship

Favorite Book: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Favorite Place to Study on Campus: first floor of Gorgas

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: Mellow Mushroom

Why did you choose your major? “Originally I was majoring in education, and I still probably want to be a teacher, but I switched so I could get a wider content base in English. It’s also letting me do more diverse things, like the double major in theatre (which I’ve loved since I was little) and get a couple minors in French and Math.”

What is your favorite part about being a member of the Million Dollar Band? “I love feeling like I’m part of the central campus culture. Everything in the fall is so focused on football, and with band I’m right there in the middle of it. I also like having that constant in my day. Whether it was a good day or a bad day, come four o’clock I know I can put all of it aside and make music.”

What is your favorite part about participating in COE does ART? “I love that we can create whole worlds. Every element, from the walls of the set to the accents and the costumes of the characters, everything is carefully crafted and if you do your job right the audience should never notice. I love creating something so complete. Also sometimes there are fake mustaches and capes.”

What was your favorite part about studying abroad? “It was the biggest adventure I’ve ever been on. I felt challenged academically and culturally and every day was something new. There was always new food, new places, and a new challenge. It was wonderful to learn so much so quickly about France after having only heard about it and seen it in the movies the whole time I was studying French. Suddenly it was all real and I was standing in it.”

Who is your celebrity crush? “Will Smith. I grew up watching reruns of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and now I don’t think I’ve seen him in a movie I didn’t like. He also seems like an upstanding kind of guy.”

What is the cutest thing your boyfriend has ever done for you? “One time I was really upset, and at this point I don’t remember what about, but something that wasn’t objectively that big a deal, but I told him how I felt and he offered to walk the mile or so over to my place just to give me a hug. I said no, but that he was willing to go to those lengths to make me feel better was so sweet.”

What do you like to do in your free time? “I watch a fair amount of sit-coms on Netflix, but if I get my head in the right place I love to write.”

What do you think if your best quality? “If my friends need something, I will always be there. I think a lot of times people just need to vent and it helps to have somebody there to be supportive.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.