10 Shows on Netflix With Fierce Female Leads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Reign

Reign is a show about Mary Queen of Scotts. What could be fiercer than a Queen? From the first episode, Mary has been a force to be reckoned with. Mary will stop at nothing to protect her country, her heart, and those she loves. Mary has survived so much throughout the show’s run as it approaches it’s final episodes. But no matter what life throws at her, Mary Queen of Scotts comes out on the other side stronger than ever

Grey’s Anatomy 

Grey’s Anatomy is filled with fierce females, among them is THE Meredith Grey. Meredith literally goes through multiple levels of hell over the 13 seasons of Grey’s Anatomy. Meredith has lost her mom, sister, husband, and multiple friends. As if losing all those people isn’t enough, Meredith has drowned, been a victim of a mass shooting, a plan crash, a physical assault, and a bomb. Meredith comes out of every situation stronger and ready to dance it out with those she loves. Meredith’s heart is what makes her so fierce. 

The Originals

– The Original family is over a thousand years old. Rebekah Mikaelson is the fiercest creature on earth. Rebekah is quite literally at the top of the food chain. Though many fear her, Rebekah has a good heart. Rebekah will do anything to protect those she loves, for always and forever. All Rebekah wants in her life is love and a family of her own. When Rebekah falls in love, she falls deeply and fiercely. While the men in her life work to solve problems with violence, Rebekah uses her cunning ways and charm to make her world go round. Never mess with her or her family, it could be the last thing you do.

Roswell 

– This late 90’s/early 2000’s show, features three fierce female leads. Liz Parker, Maria Deluca, and Isabel Evans have intergalactic sized problems on their hands. These girls always seem to have the answers when it comes to getting their rag tag group of friends out of trouble. 

Gilmore Girls 

– Emily, Lorelai, and Rory would consider themselves the fiercest of them all. The Gilmore women have their quick wit, high caffeine tolerance, and strong wills. The Gilmore girls can accomplish anything they set their minds to. 

The Vampire Diaries 

-Elena Gilbert is fierce in life and death. Elena has lost so much but is always fighting for herself and those she loves to live the happy life that they deserve to live. At Elena’s core, nothing matters more than family, friendship, and love. Elena will stop at nothing to protect those things.

New Girl 

– There are very few people on this earth like Jess Day. Jess is very much her own person and stumbles through life by taking it one day at a time. 

Life Unexpected 

– Before Cate Cassidy was a radio host, she got pregnant when she was 16 years old. Social services promised to find a good home for her little baby but they did not. 15 years later, Lux comes knocking on Cate’s and her biological father, Baze’s, door asking them to sign emancipation papers. In a crazy turn of events, the judge denies the emancipation but grants Baze and Cate temporary custody. Cate fights fiercely for Lux, to make a better life for her. Cate wants to be a the kind of mother Lux deserves. Lux has to over come a life that no child should ever have to live. Lux had to endure crappy foster homes, abusive foster parents, and having a hole in her heart. Lux has to work hard to over come her past. In the end, she brings together her family and succeds in ways she never thought possible. Lux is fierce, just like her mom. 

Hart Of Dixie 

-Zoey Hart would definatly qualify as the fiercest lady in Blue Bell, Alabama. When Zoey comes to Alabama, she has to fight for her practice and her place in Blue Bell. Eventually, Zoey grows to love Blue Bell, finds true love, but always seems to fall into trouble as only Zoey Hart could.

The Crown

– Queen Elizabeth is one of the most powerful and influential women in the whole world. The Crown follows Queen Elizabeth and her rise to power. The young Queen must learn to balance her newfound power, motherhood, and marriage. As a new queen, she must gain the respect of the world.

90210

– California’s fiercest take residence in the 90210. Naomi Watts, the school’s queen bee, is the fiercest of them all. While Naomi is privileged in more ways than one, she has to over come many obstacles and fight for herself  

Who are your favorite fierce ladies on Netflix? Let us know what you who on Twitter @HCUAlabama 

Hi! I'm Katie Goodwin! I'm a senior at UA and I am majoring in journalism with a minor in creative writing. I'm from Hoover, AL but one day I hope to live in London, England. When I am not writing, I love to read, watch Netflix, travel, and go to One Direction concerts.
Alabama Contributor