Study Spots On and Off Campus at The University of Akron

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

With finals week in full swing, the dorm social lounge and the desks in the rooms are getting harder and harder to use for studying. Lucky for us, The University of Akron has plenty of different areas to go to study at! Here’s a few of my favorite spots on and off campus.

Bierce Library

The library is the most cliché place to go study, but it has some of the best spots to work in.

Down on the ground or basement floor of the library is the tutoring center, but this area can be used by anyone, even people who aren’t being tutored. There are large tables to spread out at, white boards on the walls to use, and even computers at some tables to hook up computers to make a large screen easier for studying. This place is perfect for group studying because then everyone can work together.

Floor 2 of Bierce is a quiet area, great for studying with little noise to distract from your work. Along the walls and corners are small cubicles for use. These are great if you’re easily distracted and need solidarity to keep you focused. If spots like that are too suffocating for you, there are desks hidden throughout the bookshelves with chairs and access to outlets to charge your laptop. These spots give you some quiet alone space without making you feel like you’re being punished and banished to the corner.

Floor 3 of Bierce has most of the same spots at floor 2, but it is a designated silent zone, making it perfect for those that need absolute silence to get any work done.

One special spot on floor 2 is room 275. This is a quiet study area, but it is different from the usual boring desks and tables. This room has comfy chairs to lounge in, some desks like the ones on the first floor, and a few cubicle-like spots that have a more open feel to avoid that suffocating sense of a normal cubicle.

Throughout the entirety of the library, there are private rooms you can use to study alone or work together on projects and presentations with groups.

The Student Union

While the Student Union can be a difficult place to get work done for people who need quiet to concentrate, there is a spot on the third floor that some people don’t even know about.

The Lounge on the third floor of the SU is awesome for studying. It is right above Starbucks, so the same great view from the second floor is visible through the windows. There is so much natural light, which can actually help some people focus more. There are some comfortable chairs to study in, and some desks along the walls if you need more space to spread out.

Zook Hall

The new Lebron James Family Foundation College of Education Zook Hall building is not easily ignored. Not only is it newly renovated, but the blue windows that stick out are super noticeable. What some people don’t realize is that there is a balcony above all of those windows.

On the third floor, there is a door at the end of the hall that leads out to the balcony. This spot is beautiful because it has such an amazing view of campus and part of downtown. This is a great way to study outside without having to be in the middle of Coleman Commons where anyone and everyone can come over to talk to you and distract you from your studying. This hall is available to all students, not just Education Majors, so take advantage of the beauty.

Quaker Square

Quaker may seem way too far from the rest of campus to go to, but that can actually be a good thing when it comes to studying. Inside of the Quaker Residence Hall is the Trackside Grille, which is a much better place than some people even realize.

Trackside is an on-campus dining option, so meal swipes and dining dollars are welcome! If you know you need to study but also need to eat, grab a meal here and sit down in one of the booths in the train car. This is a great place to be alone to work while also getting in some delicious food.

The College of Business Administration Building

The CBA is another place some people feel is just too far to go to for studying; however, it doesn’t take more than 10 minutes to walk to from the North Quad. Just walk down past E.J. and turn onto Wolf Ledges Parkway. Across from the Law Building is a smaller building that leads to the bridge to the CBA.

This bridge is actually a great spot for working when you enjoy being around noise to get things done. There are large picnic tables to spread out at and windows to look out when you need something to inspire you to write that paper. When you need a break, go up to the Einstein Bagels kiosk they have in there.

Downtown Akron Locations

When going to UA, you are so close to downtown Akron that it would be a shame to not take advantage of it. Besides all the cool shops and great restaurants, there are also so many cool places to go study for a little while.

Across the street and a little over from the Polsky Building is Lock 3. This place often hold concerts at its stage and has an ice skating rink in the winter, but it is also an awesome place to enjoy some sunshine while you study. Spread a blanket out or sit at one of the tables while you crack open those books.

Another spot just around the corner of the Civic Theater is Lock 4. This is such a beautiful little hideaway. There are huge steps you can sit on and relax while you work. The best part is the sound of the rushing water right next to you. Enjoy some nature while you study this semester!

Another great place downtown is the ice cream place everyone here has been talking about: Chill. This is a cool spot to go to. Sometimes you just need a little something different to study without a distraction, and this would be the place. Get a cone or cup of ice cream and enjoy the unique tables and decorations while you do your flash cards.

A spot a little farther from campus is Angel Falls Coffee Co. on W. Market Street. This place serves up some great coffee, and the spot is totally unique. There are all sorts of different chairs and couches to lounge in while you read that chapter for the third time, and there’s even coffee to keep you up while you work.

Hi! :) I am a student at the University of Akron, Akron, OH, but originally from Sharpsville, PA. I am double majoring with English and Adolescent-to-Young-Adult Education with Integrated Language Arts. I love sparkly things, my sisters, traveling, and having fun!
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.