samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Study & Health Tips: Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

With finals week upon us, so is a lot of tears and anxiety followed with the constant desire to want to drink. But with that being said, it’s time to crack down and discuss studying tips and tips to stay healthy throughout the finals week so as a student it’s possible to be the best to our ability.

Let’s start with being healthy for the week. I always hear people complain about getting sick the week of finals. You’re constantly stressed, and not getting enough sleep because you HAVE to pass your finals with flying colors, nothing is worse than that. You then retrace your steps to wonder how you got sick. I mean, you wash your hands, right? But that isn’t just it. So here are a few tips to staying healthy the entire week of finals.

1. Sleep is your best friend. Hands down. You don’t get enough sleep, your immune system is all sorts of messed up. Don’t get 3 hours, don’t get 5, get a full 8 hours. Your brain needs to relax every once in awhile.

2. Let’s not forget about food! Don’t pull a classic college move and only eat snacks, help your body out and eat a solid 3 meals, and make sure to get them greens like your mom always used to yell at the dinner table.

3. WATER! Hydration is fun. Coffee and energy drinks are okay in moderation but your body needs water. Always remember that hydration is fun and water is your second best friend (next to sleep of course).

4. Remember to stay clean. Don’t let germs take over your body, shower because you’ll feel like a whole new person when you’re done.

But staying healthy isn’t the only thing I want to discuss with you college nerds. We can’t forget about the perfect study tips in passing our finals with flying colors. So here are a few tips to help you get the grade you want (or even need to pass the class).

1. Make sure to take breaks. You don’t want to burn yourself out because then you won’t retain anything you studied to make sure you pass the class.

2. Chewing gum helps. I don’t really know where the evidence for that is but it’s true. I always seem to do better when I study while chewing gum and taking the test and chewing gum.

3. Don’t listen to music that will distract you. If anything, listen to music without lyrics. You’re going to want to have a mini dance party while studying but it’s a distraction. To meet you in the middle, have dance parties during your study breaks!

4. Form study groups! Talking to your classmates isn’t as intimidating as people make it out to be. Study groups are your key to success. Do what I do, find the smartest kid in the class and study with them. And there you have it, the path to getting the perfect grade.

With all this said and done, I guess it’s about time I crack open my own textbooks, sit down with some classical music on and drink a ton of water. We have some hardcore studying to do!

Arden Palmquist is a Senior at The University of Akron majoring in Public Relations. She enjoys blogging and posting on her Instagram.
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.