The Struggle of Being Plus-Size and Famous

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Recently, a lot of buzz has being going around about designers not willing to dress or lend out dresses to plus-size actresses in Hollywood. One recent celebrity that this happened to was Rachel Bloom at the 2017 Emmy’s. She talked about this while in an interview on the red carpet. In an interview with Giuliana Rancic, she stated that “Sometimes it’s hard to get places to lend me a dress because I’m not a size zero.” This hasn’t only happened to her, but to plenty of other women as well.

Dascha Polanco, Leslie Jones, Melissa McCarthy, Octavia Spencer, and Ashley Graham, just to name a few, have all had to deal with being discriminated against for their size. With designers who don’t design for plus-size women, there are also those that do. Christian Siriano is a designer who prides himself on creating styles that “supports women of all ages and sizes.” Celebrities have also taken things into their own hands to create clothing lines that make women who don’t fit the mold love their bodies again.

Melissa McCarthy and Ashley Graham are just a couple of them who have created such lines. “When you go above a size 12, you don’t lose your love of fashion” stated Melissa McCarthy in an interview. It seems like big brands don’t want to design for the bigger woman. This makes little sense since designing clothing for a wide variety of people would bring more business in. People want to see someone who looks like them be able to dress in what they love and not something that they’re forced to wear because it’s the only thing available in that size. With more and more women speaking out against weight discrimination, hopefully things can start changing in the fashion industry. Why discriminate when you can be a part of a fashion revolution?

Hello everyone! My name is Shaye and I'm a Media Studies major at The University of Akron. Writing and video production are my passions and I hope my writing can create a passion in you! 
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.