Culture > News

“Save the Bees!” Why We Shouldn’t Forget About the Honeybee Crisis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

As the spring season peers around the corner, several classic signs of the coming warmer weather begin to appear around us.

Longer days, sunshine, and flowers in bloom are some of the most common sights. Imagine, though, if those flowers were never to bloom or if certain crops were to never grow. Unfortunately, this stark vision is one that owes itself to a very real crisis taking place: the destruction of the bee population.

For those who have ever been stung by a bee and experienced the great pain that results, the decay of the bee population may not seem like the worst idea. However, there is important science behind the utility of bee colonies and how the tiny creatures contribute significantly to human life. Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) was first reported in 2006 at a time when beekeepers were noticing large numbers of colony loss among adult honeybees that seemed to disappear from hives. Without a significant population of worker bees available, hives began to die off in records.

CCD is said to be the result of a combination of harmful factors. Pollution, climate change, habitat destruction, nutrition deficiency, and pesticides are among the most damaging contributors. Neonicotinoids are one particular class of pesticide that pose a serious threat to both honeybees and wild bees alike. Used on a range of common crops, neonics are derived from nicotine and have been found to be a leading cause of bee decline.

This population loss among bees has left a substantial impact on industries, as well. According to the Natural Resource Defense Council, bees pollinate more than $15 billion worth of U.S. crops each year, including items such as almonds, berries, and cucumbers. Globally, cross-pollination accounts for at least 30% of the world’s crops and 90% of its wild plants. From that standpoint, the health of bee populations is critical to the health of agriculture and the overall economy.

Though the study of CCD has helped scientists and beekeepers better understand the phenomenon and its human-related triggers, colony declines remain an issue. Roughly 30% of hives are reported to not survive the winter season, leaving the loss somewhat manageable but still not good. Greenpeace USA reports that the number of bee colonies per hectare has declined by 90% since 1962, leaving a die-off rate unsustainable for the future productivity of worker bee colonies.

While this news might seem discouraging, there are certain actions that can be taken to ensure the protection of current and future bee populations. At the legislative level, demanding that wild habitats are preserved and that the EPA ban the most harmful pesticides are two leading steps. Citizens can educate themselves about conservation efforts by visiting Bumble Bee Watch and supporting organizations like the Pollinator Partnership. Additionally, planting native wild flowers and supporting local, organic farms by purchasing their produce contribute to healthier environments for bees, as well. Honey Nut Cheerios has even launched a #BringBacktheBees campaign that has removed the image of Buzz the Bee from their boxes and includes a packet of planting seeds.

There are many headlines grabbing for our attention these days, and it’s just as important to read up on the seemingly “small” issues as it is the others. As you find yourself spending more and more time outdoors this spring, remember to think of the ways you can help our buzzing friends—they need us now more than ever.

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.