This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

It’s October, so that means it’s time to get spooky! Here you’ll find my top five picks for Halloween movies that are sure to scare you, make you laugh, or are perfect for cuddling up with some hot cocoa!

1.   Hocus Pocus

No Halloween season is complete without watching Hocus Pocus! After Max Dennison lights the black flame candle bringing back the Sanderson Sisters, he needs helps from his sister Dani, his crush Allison, and Thackery Binx as they fight off the return of the Sanderson Sisters and protect the town.

2.     Halloweentown

The Halloweentown series is next on my list! Growing up I have always gotten excited when Disney would announce the start of showing this Halloweentown series. The series follows a family of witches who band together and fight evil.

3.    The Nightmare Before Christmas (Jack Skellington)

The next movie is one you can watch at either Halloween time or Christmas time. The film follows Jack Skellington as he in the town get ready for Halloween and scaring children. While going on an angsty walk and breaking out in song, Jack stumbles upon Christmastown and hatches a plan that may or may not have terrible consequences.

4.    The Shining

A creepy classic is the 1980 movie adaptation of Stephen King’s novel, The Shining. The film follows the Torrance family as they are the winter caretakers at the Overlook Hotel. Jack Torrance is a writer who slowly starts going insane while at the hotel while his son starts experiencing strange paranormal happenings.

5.      The Conjuring

If you really want to scream and hide under your covers, then the Conjuring series is for you. These films follow Ed and Lorraine Warren as they help those victimized by demons. A lot of these stories are said to be true which adds an extra hint of spookiness to it.

There you have it! Grab some popcorn, hot cocoa/cider, a blanket, and enjoy these top five Halloween time favorites!

Hello everyone! My name is Shaye and I'm a Media Studies major at The University of Akron. Writing and video production are my passions and I hope my writing can create a passion in you! 
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.