samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Make The Best Of Your Summer Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Regardless of your class level or credit count, every college student has likely heard of the importance of internships for their future success. As opportunities to test-drive different job fields before committing to full-time careers, internships are one of the most valuable experiences students can have at their disposal. With more employers hiring from within, these positions are a great way to get a foot in the door. The chance to try something new, think creatively, and expand one’s skillset can only facilitate your growth as an individual—and your competitiveness as a job candidate. 

There’s no better time to seek out an internship than during the summer. Even if you may be traveling, working a job, or taking summer session courses, this more leisurely period of time often allows for flexibility in managing a schedule. Seeing as some internships go unpaid, employers are usually understanding of the need for students to balance part-time jobs with the internship they are working on. For those jobs that are paid (in which you’ve hit the internship jackpot), you may still be able to craft your hours to your advantage, allowing for extra time to travel or explore the things you might not be able to during the school year. 

Once you’ve accepted the position and set your schedule, the real work begins. It’s important to go into internships with an open mind and a willingness to learn, as well as the initiative to make yourself stand out. Many companies filter interns throughout the year, meaning that once you leave your position at the end of August, there will probably be someone ready to fill the role come September. This doesn’t have to intimidate you, though. With climbing intern offer rates, the important lesson to take away is that proving yourself to be indispensable is key. Sitting at your desk quietly or idly completing tasks is not an option. Learning to be proactive in the work environment is crucial to gaining meaningful work experience and building a network which you can call upon in the future. By making a true effort and following a few guidelines, you will surely get the most out of your internship experience.

Be Professional In Everything You Do

From showing up to work on time every day (early is even better), to writing emails in “professional voice,” it is critical to adopt the habits of working as though you are a full-time employee of the company for which you work. After all, they selected you to represent them for a reason, even if that may be only for a few months. Remember to respect the boundaries of working on a team, as well. As the newest addition, be willing to learn from your superiors while offering ideas and solutions in a knowledgeable way. A mentality of “arriving early and staying late” will prove to colleagues in your new work environment that you are dedicated to the job at hand, and will earn you a great deal of respect. No one wants to be thought of as a careless millennial who rushes out the door at 4:59pm just to make it to happy hour, so prove that you have more to offer. Happy hour can wait. 

Thoroughly Complete Tasks

When given an assignment, complete it fully. This may seem like a no-brainer, but far too many interns ruin their chances of future employment by not being thorough enough in task completion. Do the things that are asked of you, and then go the extra mile. If your manager asks you to conduct research, utilize the academic skills you’ve built upon during the school year by including credible sources and creating documents that are not a visual headache. By creating content that is to-the-point or otherwise exactly what your superior requires, you are making everyone’s work day more productive—an attribute that will certainly be appreciated. 

Ask Meaningful Questions

One thing that every student should be aware of both in their academics and their life outside the classroom is how to ask questions with purpose. By demonstrating that you’ve taken the time to develop thoughtful responses to a certain discussion, you prove an intellectual eagerness that goes beyond fulfilling routine tasks. Reasearching topics ahead of a meeting is a great way to go in prepared. Once you are knowledgable about the subject, you can then offer insights into what you think may be a step forward or a way to improve. Even at a less-involved level, simply asking your manager or colleagues meaningful advice on how to improve in your position or how to navigate a particular job field can lead to worthwile discussions.

Develop Skills

In addition to providing curious students with many other benefits, internships are best at affording students the chance to improve upon their skillset. From learning to write in the “voice” of a particular company, to communicating with proficiency, to learning new software or hands-on technical experience, internships allow for a type of development that can only be found outside the classroom. “Transferrable skills” is a buzzword that more and more college students have become familiar with, as the expectations of future employers see them as essential. Skills such as critical thinking, adaptability, and interpersonal collaboration are in high demand for potential job candidates, and a willingness to improve upon those capacities at every turn will draw attention to your value.

Broaden Your Contacts

A significant benefit of completing an internship is the opportunity to broaden your network. Developing and maintaining a solid relationship with your manager and colleagues is invaluable as you move on to future internships or employment. Building professional relationships can help create resources for interns looking for career advice or direct references for future use. Your contacts may even send job opportunities your way or be able to put in a good word for you at the next place you may be applying, so making yourself and your abilities stand out is more important than ever.

No matter how big or small your internship is, or whether it is in a city of millions or the midwest, remember that every opportunity is one to take full advantage of. You were chosen out of several other candidates for a reason, and now that the stage is yours, it’s time to show what you can do. With your head up, shoulders back, and a readiness to excel, you might surprise even yourself with how much you can grow in just a few months.

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.