This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Kanga Blue is the student-led female a cappella group at the University of Akron, located in Akron, Ohio.

The group was founded during the Fall semester of 2010, as a result of a lack of opportunities for female singers. Dr. Dale Mugler, the Dean of the Honors College at the time, had the idea to start a new female a cappella group to give more opportunity to female-vocalists. This group would later be known as “Kanga-Blue.”

As of April of 2014, the ladies of Kanga-Blue dropped the hyphen, performed their first bi-annual concert, and became recognized as an official student organization at the University of Akron.

Since its founding in 2010, Kanga Blue has partaken in copious events, both on and off campus grounds. From creating a music video in order to raise sexual assault awareness, to performing at fundraising events such as Zips for St. Jude, this group has truly made a name for itself.

If you are a student at the University of Akron and are interested in joining Kanga Blue, you can contact the group at KangaBlueAcappella@gmail.com, or through their webpage here.

Lauren is currently a junior at the University of Akron. She is studying to become a high school mathematics teacher, and anticipates on graduating in Spring 2019. Outside of Her Campus, Lauren is involved in Kanga Blue, UA's all-female a cappella group, where she holds an executive position as the Musical Director.
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.