How To Make Your Memorial Day Memorable

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

For some Americans, Memorial Day is the official beginning of summer where kids are finally let out of school, and the local pool has just opened up. Although this is true, Memorial Day is actually the American holiday where we honor the men and women who have served our country, past and present. After becoming an official holiday in 1967, it has become a popular summer event filled with barbeques, fireworks, and most importantly, s’mores!

Of course there are the traditional barbeques and summer get-togethers that are hosted every year on this special occasion, but there are many other ways to celebrate. Here are some Memorial Day celebrations that will make your Memorial Day even more special!

Parades

Almost everyone has been to a parade. Seeing a variety of floats pass by on a clear, sunny day with your family creates some really great memories, and getting free candy isn’t so bad either! A great way to spend time with your family and be a part of your community is to attend your hometown’s local Memorial Day parade. Copley, Cuyahoga County, and Medina County are just a few areas with their own Memorial Day parades on this upcoming Monday. Look out for additional information in your local newspapers.

Akron Rubber Ducks Game

We have all shared the wonderful summer experience of singing our hearts out to “Take Me Out to the Ballgame,” and cannot escape a baseball game without eating a hot dog or the beloved baseball snack of Cracker Jacks. All weekend long the Akron Rubber Ducks are playing baseball, with a special-themed Memorial Day game on Monday, May 29th. It is the perfect activity to get together with family and friends, along with beautiful weather for the game.

Cedar Point: Tribute to the Armed Forces

Some of the most exciting and fun-filled memories are going to amusement parks during the summer time. Throughout the weekend, Cedar Point is offering discounts to all American veterans that are retired, honorably discharged, or who are still active in the U.S. military. All U.S. veterans will receive one, free adult ticket and can receive discounts on six Cedar Point tickets for immediate family members. If you are not a huge fan of roller coasters, Cedar Point Shores is offering the same opportunity for U.S. veterans as well.

See more here

Donating to a Veteran Center

One great way to celebrate Memorial Day is serving those who have been fighting for your country. There are many organizations and centers that serve veterans on a daily basis and would especially welcome your help on this upcoming Memorial Day. Working at the Akron-Canton Food Bank or volunteering at Haven of Rest is an extremely humbling experience, and not only will you serve your local veterans, but also the people of your community.

It is so important to have fun this summer and start it off the right way. Make your Memorial Day a little more special this year, and most importantly, do it in a fun and safe manner. Have a great summer, and happy Memorial Day!

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.