Houston Bakes Up A Storm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Harvey, a category four tropical storm, rambled its way through the southern borders of Texas and Louisiana just a few weeks ago, causing mass destruction and devastation to anything in its way. The hurricane left thousands of people desperate to find shelter, food, and water. As the streets of Houston flooded uncontrollably, it prevented anyone from travelling, leaving families trapped in their homes and workplaces. Flights were cancelled, and driving was completely out of the question. Despite the heartache that Houston and surrounding areas have undergone, some could see the glimpse of light and hope through the dark skies. This was true for employees that work for El Bolillo’s Wayside Drive Bakery. Their natural kindness and compassion led them to stand out in a remarkable way.

Photo of the bakers in the process of making bread. (Facebook.com/ElBolilloBakeries)

In the midst of the hurricane, bakers from El Bolillo’s Bakery were trapped in their building, unable to travel because of harsh winds and major surge floods. Rather than taking pity upon themselves, they decided to make use of the time they were given. For two days, these talented bakers took to making countless loaves of pan dulce (a Mexican-style sweet roll) for first responders and victims affected. Although rising floods left most of Houston without electricity, the bakery was not affected, and stayed in one piece during the storm. Brian Alvarado told Teen Vogue, “how they helped us today is the only reason we were able to open today”. After the storm ended, the bakery opened early the next morning to deliver the bread to those in desperate need. This self-less act provided food for men, women, and children in distress over the damage caused by the storm. The bakery remained open until every loaf of bread was handed out.

If you want to lend a helping hand to the people of Houston and give back to the bakers, Meagan Michaelis, daughter of the owner Kirk Michaelis, started a GoFundMe to help support the employees that lost cars, homes, and valuables. They have continued to work hard to continue to support the people in need during Hurricane Harvey. Of their $1 goal, they have raised over $16,000 in the past two weeks.

According to Metro, the death toll the week of the storm was above 30, and unfortunately, is climbing as authorities investigate several other deaths to determine whether they were related to the storm. We are all mourning with the state of Texas as they repair the damage done by hurricane Harvey.

University of Akron English Education Major
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.