This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

To the high school senior going to prom:

Prom is an exciting time. For some, you’ve been dreaming of this day since you were five and couldn’t wait to dress like a princess for a night. Prom also means that your high school career is almost over and you’re about to take the next step in your life. You’re probably sitting there thinking about all the plans you’ve made with your group to do before and after prom. but, even if you just skim the rest of this article there are a few things I want you to take away from this.

Please, please, please be safe. We’ve heard the horror stories of high school seniors getting into accidents on prom night. Nobody thinks that it’ll happen to them but the sad reality is that it very easily happen to you. The last thing your parents and the people in your life want to hear is that because of alcohol or other drugs you might not be coming home ever again or that you’re in the hospital. You can tell your parents that there won’t be alcohol where you’ll be, but they’re not stupid. They know there probably will be alcohol present and they’re hoping that you know to be safe and to make good decisions with some sort of reason.

Prom isn’t like it is in the movies.  Maybe you’re a high school graduate and you disagree with this statement, and that’s okay. But we’ve all seen the movies and how the dances are all decorated with balloons and streamers and lights and the giant food and drink table. Well, sorry to burst your bubble but there’s a high probability that it’s not going to be decorated to that extent. Heck, I had my prom at the Cleveland Browns stadium and the only thing that it was decorated with was the football posters that were in the room. Don’t get me wrong, having my own prom there is still something I brag about because how many people can say they’ve had their prom there?  But, our after prom was decorated like something you would imagine; it had the streamers and balloons, the games that you could win prizes, inflatables, and SO MUCH FOOD.

It’s okay to go with your friends and not a significant other.  Believe me, I went with one of my friends to prom and it was easily one of the best decisions that I made in high school.  Nobody cares if you don’t have SO on prom night. I know right now high school might seem like the people you’re surrounded with are the most important of your life, but honestly, they don’t care and chances are they’re going to compliment you on your dress. In all honesty, I only talked to two people from high school and just did my own thing during the dance because that’s what everyone else was doing.  

Enjoy every second of it because it’s over in the blink of an eye.  Prom is one of those things where it seems like it takes forever to arrive, but trust me, before you know it the night is over. It goes by so quickly and then the next thing you have to look forward to is graduation. So literally try to soak up every moment that the entire day has to offer. It’s okay to feel giddy about getting your hair, make-up, and nails done. Have a blast!

Just a girl who loves everything Cleveland and striving to make one positive impact a day. 
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.