This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Halloween is a time to be bold. Painting your face with colorful makeup, wearing outlandish costumes, and taking pride in your own creativity are all part of the experience. There is no room to be timid on Halloween, and owning your character—even if just for an evening—is half the fun.

Feminists everywhere tend to take their holiday costumes to another level, with imaginations outdoing themselves year after year. While 2017 has seen its fair share of chaos and distress for many feminists, it has also been a time during which female voices have resisted the loudest. Women everywhere continue to stand hand in hand in the fight for equality each day, and Halloween should be no exception. If you are looking for an exciting and original costume that also ingeniously fights the patriarchy, check out some of the best feminist Halloween costumes below.  

Rosie the Riveter

Have no fear, Rosie is here! As the quintessential feminist costume, dressing as Rosie the Riveter will make it clear that you are all about female empowerment.

Wonder Woman

Take flight and be not afraid of your power. Wonder Woman has long been a Halloween staple for many Halloween-goers, but with this year’s release of the box-office hit, there’s no doubt you will be a knockout.

Ruth Bader Ginsberg

State your “dissenting opinion” with a tribute to Supreme Court Justice, Ruth Bader Ginsberg (a.k.a. Notorious RBG).

Melissa McCarthy as Sean Spicer

Much like the Ruth Bader Ginsberg costume, this character is best for the political junkie. You will certainly turn heads at the Halloween party due to McCarthy’s legendary impersonation; don’t forget your remote control podium!

Rey

With the release of Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi hitting theaters this December, creating a costume to match the fearless, intelligent, lightsaber-yielding heroine is both timely and kick-ass.

Tina Belcher

Arguably the best character from Bob’s Burgers, Tina Belcher is the perfect character to portray for the sharp and funny feminist.

Ghostbusters

Looking for a group costume? Gather your girl gang and enjoy the night hunting ghosts and ghouls.

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.