This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Ahhhhhhhh!

End of finals + summer break + my Kindle = me alone in my room, catching up on all my favorite YA novel series. Reading from day to night until it’s time to switch to my second child Netflix, so we can watch TV together, that is, if my first child Books can allow me to take a short break from my addiction.

That’s how bad it is, and ever since my first full-time semester of college started this spring, I have had very little time to read. And I do not mean that big Spanish book I had for my foreign language class or those two huge math books either. I’m talking about my favorite YA Fantasy novels filled with romance, magic, and of course, kick-butt heroines. That’s what most of my 500 books are about; young girls who find out that they have supernatural powers of some kind, and that they are a long-lost heir to a magical throne in some far-off world—that and witches.

So, Saturday the 13th here I come to celebrate with books. And I can’t wait! Here I try (emphasis on the word try) to list my top ten favorite books that I want to share with you and the ones that are also free!

1. **The Fated Saga Series by Rachel Humphrey Daigle

First in the series is Awaken

Book Description: Mind reading twins, Meghan and Colin Jacoby, have until the rising of the blue moon to save the life of a young man whose family is forced to flee through a magical portal to another world, without him. In the process, they unknowingly break a spell and awaken an ancient dark magic, which has an unfortunate side effect: now they are being hunted too!

2. **The Water Keepers Series by Christine Anderson

First book in the series is Deep Blue Secret

Book Description: California teen Sadie James thinks her life couldn’t get any better. She has great friends, an energetic mother she adores, and the beach practically in her own backyard. But her carefree life is turned upside down when she’s rescued by a mysterious and strangely familiar boy who won’t even tell her his name. Each time the boy appears, Sadie’s unexplainable attraction to him deepens along with her need to unravel his secrets. The boy is there to protect her, but as wonderful and exciting as it might be to have an irresistible boy with crystal green eyes protecting her every move, every minute of the day…why does Sadie need one? As Sadie finds answers, she realizes her life isn’t as perfect as she thought. Not only is she caught in a world of dangerous secret agents she never knew existed, but it turns out her true identity may be the greatest secret of all.

3. Draykon by Charlotte E. English

First book in the series is Draykon

Book Description: Legends tell of creatures the size of houses, with wings as vast as the sails of great ships. Their scaled hides glittered like caskets of jewels, and from their massive jaws they breathed gouts of pure fire. The draykoni once ruled the skies of the Seven Realms, uncontested and unstoppable — so the stories say. But they are only tales. Aren’t they? When Llandry Sanfaer discovers a new type of jewel, her life changes forever. Wonderful and terrible, the gem exerts a strange influence over those who behold it. Soon people are dying for it, and Llandry herself becomes a target. This is only the beginning. What is this starry jewel, that no one can resist? Who is the killer that stalks the night, stealing the gems from their murdered owners? And why does the gem call so powerfully, so irresistibly, to Llandry herself? Llandry’s destiny cannot be denied. A shy jeweller is about to learn that sometimes, even the most far-fetched story might prove to be the plain, simple truth.

4. The Talisman Series by Brenda Pandos

First book in the series is The Emerald Talisman

Book Description: What if your destiny meant the one you loved would die? Julia Parker would trade her secret gift to feel others emotions in a heartbeat, especially half the horny guys in school. After running out of gas and having no choice but to walk through the woods home, she feels something no one should feel: blood-lust. When trying to escape, she falls off a cliff. Who comes to her rescue? None other than a hot guy with super human strength. Only problem is, he’s there when you need him and gone when you want him. Julia tries to forget what happened, but starts losing friends to these monsters. Unable to ask her rescuer for help, she has nowhere else to turn. Advice from a creepy psychic tells her she alone is the key to stopping the madness. Problem is it’ll require her rescuer’s life. Great.

(This book you can currently get from Amazon for just $0.99!)

5. **Dark Faerie Tale Series by Alexia Purdy

First book in the Series is Ever Shade

Book description: For Shade, a chance meeting with a powerful Teleen Faery warrior who wields electrical currents and blue fires along his skin, has her joining him on a treacherous mission for the good Seelie Faerie Court across the land of Faerie.

6. **Mer Tales by Brenda Pandos

First book in the series EverBlue

Book description: She wanted her life to change … he wanted his to stay the same.

Seventeen-year-old Ashlyn Lanski is tired of her boring, single life. Swimming and spending time with Tatiana, her best friend, are her only sanctuary. The girls plan to leave their drab lakeside town far behind for college, and Ash hopes to finally ditch her longtime crush for Finley, Tatiana’s twin brother. But when Tatiana and her family fail to return home after a family emergency, Ashlyn makes an irrational decision to deal with her loss of them.

Finley Helton and his family are good at blending in with humans as they run their sailing charter business in Lake Tahoe. The truth is they guard an ancient secret. When a not so routine meeting forces Finley, Tatiana and their mother to return to their underwater home of Natatoria, they learn Fin’s father will lead a dangerous mission. They must stay in Natatoria and wait for his return, but Fin can’t stay caged up for long. Secrets lurk beneath the deep blue waters of Lake Tahoe, and a simple lifesaving kiss will change their lives forever.

7. **The Frey Saga by Melissa Wright

First book in the series is Frey

Book description: Unaware she’s been bound from using magic, Frey leads a small, miserable life in the village where she’s sent after the death of her mother. But a tiny spark starts a fury of changes and she finds herself running from everything she’s ever known. Hunted by council for practicing dark magic, she is certain she’s been wrongfully accused. She flees, and is forced to rely on strangers for protection. But the farther she strays from home, the more her magic and forgotten memories return and she begins to suspect all is not as it seems.

8. **Xoe Meyers Series by Sara C. Roethle

First book in the series is Xoe

A demon’s life is never easy… Book Description: Xoe has a problem. Scratch that, she has many problems. Her best friend Lucy is romantically involved with a psychotic werewolf. Her father might be a demon. Her possible love interest is a vampire. Everything spirals out of control as Xoe is drawn deeper into the secrets of the paranormal community. Secrets she could never have imagined. Unfortunately, her sharp tongue and quick wit won’t be enough to save Lucy’s life, and Xoe will have to embrace her fiery powers to burn her enemies, before her whole world goes up in flames.

9. Rua Series by Miranda Kavi

First book in the series is Rua

Book Description: A girl with an unknown destiny. A boy from a hidden world. When Celeste starts at a new school in a small, Kansas town, she hears whispering voices, has vivid nightmares, and swarms of blackbirds follow her every move. She is oddly drawn to aloof Rylan, the other new student who has his own secrets. The exact moment she turns seventeen, she wakes to a bedroom full of strange creatures, purple light emanating from her hands, and Rylan breaking in through her bedroom window. He knows what she is . . .

10. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

First book in the Series is Cinder

Book Description: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

**This book you can get free from Amazon Kindle!

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.