jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jonathan j castellon be8AmxavYp8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your Tinder Profile: Do’s and Don’t’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Let’s cut to the chase: I’ve never had a boyfriend, I got Tinder, and now I’m about to give you advice. At the beginning of November, I was convinced to get a Tinder account. I seeked out four friends to perfectly craft my bio and set my pictures in the right order. It took me the entire weekend to enable my discovery, or turn my account off of private, because I was that frightened. The day I did it, it was November 8, Election Day. After that night, I had a new app as a coping mechanism. My right thumb was continuously active for hours. I was on Tinder more than Netflix, Instagram, and Facebook combined. Judging people and their profiles got me through my grief.

However, just because I was sad doesn’t mean I wasn’t critical. Because of this, I hope I can help with my tips on how to better your Tinder profile. Even though I aim to be as inclusive as possible, this is all my opinion.

DO have more than one picture on your profile. Some people really don’t take pictures of themselves. However, my advice is to try and have more than one photo of yourself. The world, or your miles range, wants to see who you are from many angles.

DO show your face in those multitude of pictures you’re going to have. Your baseball cap is really nice, but I bet your face is nicer.

DO have your pet in your picture. Dogs always work. If you have a pet, let your potential dates know how much you love them.

DO have a bio. The bios that go underneath your nice range of photos are important. I may have come to the party for a Christmas present, but I’m staying for the good conversation.

DON’T have a bio that is too long. If someone clicks on you and sees your bio, you don’t want their eyes to bug out. Personally, I check out the bio before I look at the rest of the pictures. I want to briefly see what kind of person you are. If your bio requires multiple scrolls, though, I’m giving up.

DON’T mention how you love The Office. Everyone loves The Office.

DON’T demean them in anyway. Along with that, please don’t say in your bio that you only want a certain type of person physically. That’s what swiping left is for.  

DON’T mention “If I superliked you, it was an accident” in your bio. Tell them when you match!

I hope that this was helpful. Watch out for the Do and Don’t offenders. Happy swiping!

Evan G. Pellett is a top 1% authority in the field of interviewing and hiring. He has won numerous awards including “Best Recruiter” at Oracle, outstanding achievement awards and recognitions at Oracle, Siebel Systems, and other leaders in the technology field. interviewing questions
Elizabeth Wolfe

Agnes Scott '18

Elizabeth is the Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Agnes Scott. As a Junior at Agnes Scott, she is majoring in English-Literature and Political Science with a focus on human rights. Currently, she is an intern for Atlanta's premier alt-weekly magazine Creative Loafing.