absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Squad Goals: Level BBQ

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

For all my broke college peeps, you too can throw a jammin’ barbeque.

I followed these few tips during my Labor Day weekend BBQ, and my squad of seven chowed down on a home-cooked family meal.

1. Search for the Deals

Let’s be real. You can’t have a real BBQ without the meat. Unfortunately, large cuts of meats tend to run a high price. If you search around on websites for stores like Kroger, Walmart and Aldi, you can compare prices before you shop. If you go in the middle of the week, meat prices tend to be cheaper. Personally, I like to check out the German discount store, Aldi, for all my grocery needs. I came away with a rack of ribs for under $10.

2. Assess What You Have at Home

Macaroni, cheese, butter and sauce all came from our pantry. Make sure to assess what you have before you go shopping. Ballin’ on a budget does not mean buying three things of ketchup. We had over half of our ingredients on hand before we even started. If you download the Kroger App, you can access the prices for the rest of your list so you know the approximate cost before shopping.

3. Reveal Your Secret Recipe to All of the Internet

Okay, here I go. The key to great ribs is patience.You’re going to be cooking these bad boys for a minimum of three hours. Pick a rack of pork ribs that has a good amount of fat. (I’m sorry to all my fit girls out there, sometimes you have to take one for the flavor). If you want ribs by lunchtime, you are going to have to wake up early. Slow and low makes for fall off the bone ribs, so plan accordingly. Set your oven to 250 degrees, and while the oven is preheating, season your meat. For the first two hours, a dry seasoning will work best. We used a mixture of salt, pepper, and Creole seasoning. Once your ribs have a nice coating of seasoning, throw them (covered) in the oven and let them cook for about two hours. After two hours, turn up the heat and get to basting. I like to use a sweet and smoky barbeque sauce on my ribs. Baste the ribs completely and return to a 350-degree oven for ten minutes. Repeat four to five times until your ribs have developed a nice crust. Enjoy!

4. Enlist the Help of Your Squad

Cooking in the kitchen is 10X as fun when you have friends. Turn up the tunes, and roll up your sleeves. What would have taken you four to five hours, can be quickly done with the help of many hands. Just make sure to wash them!​

4. Put Down the Technology and Enjoy a Meal with Friends

It’s always important to take in the good times. If we are all stuck to our phones, then we will miss the opportunity to create inside jokes and new funny memories. So that’s what we did! Enjoy this free food imagery!​

Margaret is a sophomore who is always ready to learn about the wonders of the world. Having lived in five states across the South, Margaret fearlessly takes on challenges-- from different places to unfamiliar disciplines. With an intended major in Political Science, Margaret is eager to engage in conversations with people from all backgrounds. In her spare time, you can find Margaret sipping on a mocha latte.
Elizabeth Wolfe

Agnes Scott '18

Elizabeth is the Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Agnes Scott. As a Junior at Agnes Scott, she is majoring in English-Literature and Political Science with a focus on human rights. Currently, she is an intern for Atlanta's premier alt-weekly magazine Creative Loafing.