She Wax It All Off: The Journey of My First Brazilian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

We know the struggle. Shaving, waxing, and plucking every nook and cranny can be time-consuming. We trudge through the summer months dreaming of long sleeve sweaters and leggings. Personally, I have stuck to shaving my legs and plucking my eyebrows. On the rare occasion when I have money to spend, I’ll get my eyebrows threaded at Patel Plaza. However, one day on a whim I passed by Relax & Wax and thought, “Hey, I should get a Brazilian.” I almost made it through the door before I chickened out. I couldn’t go in alone; the ordeal was too much for me to handle.

Fast forward to last week. My friend and I were talking about our eyebrows, and the subject of Brazilians came up. I told her about my almost trip to the salon, and she told me she had never gone before but wanted to try. With a bit of peer pressure and a waxing buddy by my side, I made my way back to Wax & Relax.

The receptionist was welcoming. I told her that it was my first time, and she gave me a smile and told me that everything would be fine. After waiting for a few minutes, I was called to the back room. My Brazilian waxer instructed me to undress from the waist down. It was a bit awkward, but I got on the table bare bottom. My waxer was super sweet, she explained the process to me and was sure to warn me about the pain.My waxer made me feel comfortable the entire time with light conversation. Before the wax began, she covered me in baby powder to dry any moisture for a cleaner wax. The wax is not pleasant, but it is not unbearable. Some places hurt more than others, but in the end you leave with a clean and smooth look.

After a few weeks, I’m still happy with the job. However, if I want to make waxing part of my routine, I’ll need to start saving. Brazilians are $35 every 4-6 weeks. With tip, the out of pocket costs may reach around $45 a month. I will definitely be back, but I doubt my wallet can sustain this service as a regular treatment.

Margaret is a sophomore who is always ready to learn about the wonders of the world. Having lived in five states across the South, Margaret fearlessly takes on challenges-- from different places to unfamiliar disciplines. With an intended major in Political Science, Margaret is eager to engage in conversations with people from all backgrounds. In her spare time, you can find Margaret sipping on a mocha latte.
MeaResea is an alumna of Agnes Scott College where she majored in Economics and minored in Spanish. She recharted the HCASC chapter in the fall semester of 2016. She served as the Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus at Agnes Scott. Her favorite quote and words that she lives by are, "She believed she could, so she did." -Unknown http://meareseahomer.agnesscott.org/