How to Make the Most of Your Summer — Honest Version

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Let’s be honest. Summer in college just isn’t as good as it used to be when we were kids. Now we have to stress about internships, get jobs, or feel guilty for doing neither of the latter. Here are a couple of tips to help you throw back to the good times and feel your very best. 

Quit All of Your Obligations

Did you spend all semester searching for a “very important” internship? Congratulations for wasting your time. Oh, it’s paid, you say? Sounds like a scam. Did you agree to drive your little brother to camp? Nooooooo. He can walk. Drop all of these pieces of nonsense. Especially jobs — those are the worst. This one is key. If you don’t shirk all of your responsibilities, summer will be wasted on you. 

Stay Perpendicular to the Ground as Often as Possible

Napping in bed? Good. Watching TV on the couch? Yes. Laying on the beach? Perfect. As soon as you get up from lying down your top priority should be finding out how soon you can lay back down again. (Pro Tip: workout moves DO NOT count)

Make Sure You’re Sleeping Midday

The biggest mistake you can make over the summer is expecting to get all of your sleep at night. The best thing you can do for your mental and physical health is to take a three-hour nap at 2 p.m. on a Tuesday. After that, you’ll have plenty of energy to stay up late binge-watching everything on Netflix.

Expand Your Three Meals a Day to Six

Three “square meals” a day? What does that even mean? Haven’t these fools ever heard of second dinner? Supplement your diet of budget-friendly ramen with at least three sets of snacks throughout the day. Light snacking is a myth. If you’re one of those people who brings a little baggie of sliced, raw bell peppers to the beach for a snack, quit that — it’s unnatural.

Tap into Your Creativity While Cleaning

Once you arrive home, you may find yourself put off by the idea of unpacking all of your stuff just to pack it back up again in two months. I propose that you just take out the essentials. Then, just leave everything else where it is. Is it all still in the front doorway? Arrange it into a very tasteful abstract sculpture that your mother will surely love. You’ll probably have a hard time trying to convince your family to let you take it down in August.

Finally, Wear Sunscreen

No funny stuff here. Sun protection is no joke.

Elizabeth Wolfe

Agnes Scott '18

Elizabeth is the Co-founder and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Agnes Scott. As a Junior at Agnes Scott, she is majoring in English-Literature and Political Science with a focus on human rights. Currently, she is an intern for Atlanta's premier alt-weekly magazine Creative Loafing.