This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

Representation is such an important aspect in today’s society. Seeing celebrities that resemble ourselves in a powerful limelight creates a connection that helps personify the celebrity and ourselves. Not only are the color of our skins becoming a threat to people, but the faith that will live by is steadily scaring people away. In honor of Black History Month, here are four modern day individuals who are unapologetically strong Black Muslim Human Beings.

Mahershala Ali

Recently, this actor has been part of huge projects that are getting the recognition they deserve. He won the Screen Actors Guild Award (SAG) for his roles in Moonlight (2016) and Hidden Figures (2016). During his acceptance speech, he told the story of his conversion to Islam. His family was actively involved in the Christian faith however, he broke the news to his mother about seventeen years ago and described what happened after like this, “But I tell you now, we put things to the side, I’m able to see her, she’s able to see me, we love each other, the love has grown.” He is part of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community and continues to empower those that are part of both minorities, Black and Ahmadi.

Ilhan Omar

Ilhan Omar made news when she became the first Somali-American Legislator in the United States during the Elections in 2016. She is a politician from Minnesota. She started out by earning her bachelor’s degree in Political Science and International Studies from North Dakota State University, where she was also a member of the Muslim Student Association. Throughout her career, she has advocated for civil rights, environmental issues, $15 minimum wage, and education related issues. Talk about goals.

Akon

While Akon may have seeped out of the limelight, his impact in Africa is something that will continue to light up every day, literally. The Akon Lighting Africa project started in 2014 in efforts to provide electricity to Africans through the use of solar energy. The organization now successfully provides lighting to 14 countries and reportedly employs the future generation so that they can learn how to install solar equipment. Along with this project, Akon established the Konfidence Foundation. According to their website, konfidence.org, their main purpose is to improve communities through promoting health, improving education and support impoverished families.

Yara Shahidi

This young actress is known for her role as Zoey in the show Black-ish. Not only does she portray a beautiful character on a show that addresses many social issues like racism, police brutality, stereotypical narratives, and the LGBTQ+ community, but for someone only who is 16 years old, this young woman is #woke. She recently posted on Instagram about her multiracial and interfaith household that raised her in response to the Muslim Ban. She describes her Iranian-Shia father and Black-Christian mother as a love that showcases “how interconnected we truly are.” Go ahead with your bad self, Yara.

Black magic is real. Muslim magic is real. These four individuals have proven to engage in their social issues and be able to effectively discuss them while sticking to their roots. “The word ‘Islam’ means ‘peace.’ The word ‘Muslim’ means ‘one who surrenders to God.’ But the press makes us seem like haters.” – Muhammad Ali

Syedha Noreenia

Agnes Scott '19

(she/her/hers) is a senior Political Science major and a Business Management minor. Originally born in Brooklyn, New York, Syedha has been raised in Atlanta and proudly calls both cities home along with her parents' motherland of Pakistan. Through her degree, she believes in empowerment/representation and fighting for social justice through analyzing organizational behavior. She enjoys coming up with Instagram captions, infiltrating the system, and spending money that she doesn't have on food.
MeaResea is an alumna of Agnes Scott College where she majored in Economics and minored in Spanish. She recharted the HCASC chapter in the fall semester of 2016. She served as the Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus at Agnes Scott. Her favorite quote and words that she lives by are, "She believed she could, so she did." -Unknown http://meareseahomer.agnesscott.org/