Ballin’ on a Budget: Black Cat Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

It’s that time of year! Black Cat is nearly upon us. Time for Rush the Quad, Bonfire, Junior Production, and of course, Black Cat Formal. It’s that one time of you that you and your fellow Scotties can step out and show up looking flawless. Whether you’re looking for a flirty pink number or a clean tailored suit, you and your squad better slay for those Instagram pictures. This year’s theme, “Masquerade Ball,” demands a sharp look, but sometimes that means a sharp buck. Here are a few places you can hit up around town that will supply style and affordability. 

Photo: Ecstasy Models 

Chance Thrift Store ($) 

2935 N Decatur Rd, Decatur, GA 30033

I can not explain to you how much I LOVE this thrift store. From, the outside it seems a little sketch, but once you explore inside you will be amazed. This place is enormous. The clothes are the run of the mill thrift finds, but if you dig deep you can find a really nice piece. I would suggest thinking outside of the box if you decide to come here, it will be worth it for the under $10 price tag. Pair a pair of vintage colored trousers (they are in abundance at this place) with an off the shoulder shirt for an edgy look that will WOW at the dance.

Photo: Pixabay 

Buffalo Exchange ($$)

1057 Ponce De Leon Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30306

I have been wearing Buffalo Exchange since I was a freshman in high school. This thrift store is a high fashion used clothing chain that has locations all around the country, and luckily there is one on Ponce. Stroll in here to find deals that range from $10-$30. I always gravitate to the dress section, where each item is separated by the desired length. The front of the store is dedicated to really great suits, that are both sharp and stylish. I recommend pairing a navy suit with a dark, black, or crisp, white dress shirt for a look that will slay the night.

Source: Wikimedia 

Rag-o-Rama ($$$)

1111 Euclid Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30307

This shop is down the street from the heart of Little Five Points. The store prides itself on a clothing selection that is one of the best in town. The clothes here are gently used and high fashion. I usually spend more than $20 when I go here, but it is worth every penny. I suggest going outside your normal style comfort zone and selecting a statement piece. Deep burgundy colors will be plentiful during this season at Rag-o-Rama, so opt for a dress that will leave an impression.

Margaret is a sophomore who is always ready to learn about the wonders of the world. Having lived in five states across the South, Margaret fearlessly takes on challenges-- from different places to unfamiliar disciplines. With an intended major in Political Science, Margaret is eager to engage in conversations with people from all backgrounds. In her spare time, you can find Margaret sipping on a mocha latte.
MeaResea is an alumna of Agnes Scott College where she majored in Economics and minored in Spanish. She recharted the HCASC chapter in the fall semester of 2016. She served as the Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus at Agnes Scott. Her favorite quote and words that she lives by are, "She believed she could, so she did." -Unknown http://meareseahomer.agnesscott.org/