Atlanta Mayor: A Tale of 759 Votes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Agnes Scott chapter.

On Tuesday December 5th, 759 votes determined who would sit in one of the most powerful mayoral positions in the country. Over 90,000 Atlanta residents turned out on a cold rainy election day to determine which woman would serve as the mayor of Atlanta for the next four years. Mayor-elect Keisha Lance Bottoms declared victory early Wednesday morning to an 0.8% lead to her opponent Mary Norwood. However, since the margin is so small, Mary Norwood has requested a recount, elongating one of the most contentious mayoral races in Atlanta history.    

(Image via Giphy)

Mayor-elect, Keisha Lance Bottoms was considered the underdog for much of the Atlanta race. Polling second to her white opponent, Mary Norwood, until the weeks leading to the general election in November. For months, many Atlanta natives were afraid that the city would see their first white mayor since 1974.  

Mayor-elect Keisha Lance Bottoms. Image via Wikimedia

Mayor-elect Bottoms and Norwood, both Democrats, campaigned on similar policy issues. From public safety to traffic (#Atlantatrafficistheworst), both women were consistent with Atlanta concerns. What determined this election was racial polarization and the number of voters. Although the candidates had similar platforms, neighborhoods voted primarily along racial lines (see Atlanta Journal Constitution’s breakdown of Results). Unless the recount provides alternate results, Ms. Bottoms will be inaugurated in January of 2018. In this election, every single vote was important. That is why participation in local elections is so important. 759 votes enabled Ms. Bottoms to win, and allowed a 45 year legacy of black leadership in Atlanta to continue.

See also: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/us/atlanta-mayor.html

Margaret is a sophomore who is always ready to learn about the wonders of the world. Having lived in five states across the South, Margaret fearlessly takes on challenges-- from different places to unfamiliar disciplines. With an intended major in Political Science, Margaret is eager to engage in conversations with people from all backgrounds. In her spare time, you can find Margaret sipping on a mocha latte.
MeaResea is an alumna of Agnes Scott College where she majored in Economics and minored in Spanish. She recharted the HCASC chapter in the fall semester of 2016. She served as the Editor-in-Chief and President of Her Campus at Agnes Scott. Her favorite quote and words that she lives by are, "She believed she could, so she did." -Unknown http://meareseahomer.agnesscott.org/