I Tested Out 4 Different Foundations For 12 Hours Each: Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

If you’re makeup-obsessed like me, you know that there are SO many foundations to choose from. I have combination-type skin. My nose and forehead get very oily by midday, and my brow bone and corners of my nose and mouth get very dry. Finding the right foundation is always a challenge for me, so I decided to do an experiment where I tried out four highly reputable foundations throughout the span of 4 days.

If you keep scrolling, you’ll see my experiment and results (with pictures), but before we begin, here’s a list of all the makeup products I used throughout these 4 days (excluding foundation). Everything was the same for each day of this experiment except for the foundations I used:

URBAN DECAY Optical Illusion Complexion Primer

MAYBELLINE Cover Stick Concealer in White

SEPHORA COLLECTION Radiant Luminizing Drops in 03 Morning Light – champagne

PROFUSION Pro Contour Palette

CARGO Powder Blush in Big Easy (shimmer pink beige)

ANASTASIA BEVERLY HILLS Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette

LANCÔME Monsieur Big Mascara

KAT VON D Tattoo Liner in Trooper – satin black (not used on Day 4)

TARTE 4-in-1 setting mist – Rainforest of the Sea™ Collection

SEPHORA COLLECTION Cream Lip Stain Liquid Lipsticks in Matte finish 39 (Frozen Strawberry), 27 (Black Cherry) and 44 (Purple Sunse

Day 1: BENEFIT COSMETICS The Big Easy Liquid To Powder SPF 35 Foundation ($38)

This foundation went on smooth and looked a little shiny, but that’s probably because it contains SPF 35. It also felt more like a lotion than a foundation, and I was not happy with the fact that the smooth coverage began fading around 3 P.M. By the evening time, I was able to see each and every individual bump and pore on my face. You can clearly see it on my cheeks in the 5:31 P.M. picture. I wouldn’t use this foundation again. It doesn’t provide full coverage, and it doesn’t last all day either.

Day 2: KAT VON D Lock-It Foundation ($38)

I absolutely loved the way this foundation felt when I put it on. Just one dab onto my beauty blender was enough to provide full coverage for my face. A little goes a long way! Aside from blotting my face twice in the span of 11 hours, this foundation stayed on all day. Honestly, the A.M. and P.M. pictures look the same to me, and I plan on buying this product (maybe a shade or two lighter) in the future!

Day 3: MAKE UP FOR EVER Ultra HD Invisible Cover Foundation ($43)

Okay, I was very confused with this foundation. It’s supposed to provide coverage, but it kind of did the opposite. My hyperpigmentation and skin discoloration still showed throughout the day. I had to blot my nose and forehead four times to prevent my face from looking like I dipped it in oil, and my bumpy pores became more and more visible throughout the day. What freaked me out the most was when I used a makeup wipe to take the foundation off. I clearly remember putting a good amount of the foundation on, but the makeup wipe was still very white even after I rubbed my face for 5 minutes. It’s like the foundation slowly faded away throughout the day.

Day 4: FENTY BEAUTY BY RIHANNA Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation ($34)

I have to say, although this foundation didn’t stay on as smooth as the Kat Von D Lock It Foundation did after an entire day, it definitely did an amazing job at controlling my oily t-zone. I had to blot my nose and forehead at least once throughout the day with the other three foundations, but I didn’t even have to touch my face with Fenty. I was shine-free all day, and it was the most beautiful thing. The only downside to this foundation is that it began drying up in spots, like on my brow bone and my chin. The more I moved/stretched my face, the worse the dryness got. It was a really big turn off, but I was still obsessed with the fact that I wasn’t oily all day.

Here’s my official ranking, in order from best to worst, of these four foundations:

1. Kat Von D

2. Fenty

3. Benefit

4. Makeup Forever Ultra HD

If you have the time, I seriously recommend stopping by Sephora, picking up a few free samples of foundation, and trying them on. That’s what I did, and the samples last you anywhere from a few days to a week. If the Sephora employees are generous, they’ll give you more. (The Kat Von D Lock It Foundation sample that I got is enough for almost a month!) It’s always nice and safe to experiment with something before you buy it. I’ll most definitely be doing this again with other foundation brands!

Hey everyone! My name is Noor and I'm a 20 year-old college senior. I'm studying biology, I'm in the Levermore Global Scholars program, and my long term goal is to go to medical school to become an obstetrician. I'm also currently a Professional Birth Assistant. I'm a huge rock/metal aficionado- you'll see me at just about every heavy show in New York City! Oh, and I'm makeup-obsessed. Seriously, you'll probably run into me at a Sephora in the Lower East Side, trying on (and probably buying) yet another illuminator or matte cream lip tint. I'm also a proud Muslim who wears the headscarf (hijab) and my motto is that you should have the right to to anything and everything you want in life, just as long as you're not hurting yourself or others. Life is a beautiful little thing and we all have to make the best of it. :) Writing and drawing has been my therapy and escape for years, so I hope you enjoy my work!