Halloween Baking: Cute, Scary, and Necessary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.

Are you hosting the best Halloween party of 2017? Are you looking for a few quick snacks to put together for some friends you invited over? Do you just so happen to be in the mood to bake or eat? If you answered yes to any of these questions, you’ve come to the right place. Here are some easy-to-make, Halloween-themed treats and sweets that’ll be sure to drive you over the edge and into a sugar coma! (Note: Ingredients can be in any amount according to your preference; these treats are very flexible to make.)

1. Brownie Graveyard:

Ingredients: Brownie mix (including eggs, vegetable oil, or whatever is listed on the box- it depends on the brand), graham crackers, vanilla frosting, black food dye.

Instructions: Bake the brownies according to the instructions on the box. After they cool down, cut into palm-sized rectangles. Use a knife or other sharp tool to round the edges of the graham crackers and to make them look worn-down, rubbed, and weary. Carefully place one rounded cracker into each brownie in a slightly slanted/horizontal position, being careful not to break the cookie. Mix a small amount of black food dye into the vanilla frosting until it is a dull grey color. Using a piping bag (a plastic bag with a small hole cut into one of the bottom corners will work just fine), spell out “R.I.P.” Line the border of the graham cracker tombstone with more frosting. After mixing more black food dye into the frosting, draw a few spiders and bugs onto the brownie and around the tombstone. Ta-da! Your brownie graveyard is complete.

2. Rice Krispies Brains:

Ingredients: 3-5 tbsp butter, 6-7 cups of Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal, 10-12 oz of mini marshmallows, red gel icing.

Instructions: Melt butter on low heat in a pot. Slowly add the marshmallows until they melt and are blended well. Turn the heat off and add the Rice Krispies cereal. Mix well. With your hands, form palm-sized, brain-shaped mounds. After shaping, top each brain with red gel icing, in the same squiggly, mounds-and-folds pattern that you would see on a brain. Let the treats cool, and enjoy!

3. Mummified Oreos:

Ingredients: Oreos, white candy melts, black gel icing, lollipop sticks.

Instructions: Stick each Oreo onto a lollipop stick. Melt the white candy melts, and dip each oreo lollipop into the heated candy melts, covering 100% of the cookie surface. Lay the oreos on wax paper to dry. Using a spoon, drizzle more candy melts on top of each oreo in a zigzag motion, creating a mummy-wrap decoration. Use the black gel icing to draw two small dots (the eyes) on the top center of each oreo. Now you have your own, adorable little mummies!

4. Pumpkin Cake Pops:

Ingredients: Cake pops (any flavors of your choosing), lollipop sticks, orange candy melts, green jolly ranchers, black gel icing.

Instructions: Bake cake pops according to instructions on cake packaging. After cooling, stick each cake pop onto a stick. Melt the orange candy melts, and dip each cake pop into the heated candy melts, covering 100% of the cake pop surface. Before the cake pop is completely dry, stick a green jolly rancher on the top center of the cake pop, directly opposite of the lollipop stick, to resemble the pumpkin stem. Use black gel icing to draw a pumpkin face onto each pumpkin cake pop. Your jack-o-lanterns are now ready to be devoured!

No matter how old you are, trick-or-treating will always be the highlight of Halloween, but learning how to make these spooky eats by far, takes the cake! (No pun intended.) Have a Happy Halloween!

Hey everyone! My name is Noor and I'm a 20 year-old college senior. I'm studying biology, I'm in the Levermore Global Scholars program, and my long term goal is to go to medical school to become an obstetrician. I'm also currently a Professional Birth Assistant. I'm a huge rock/metal aficionado- you'll see me at just about every heavy show in New York City! Oh, and I'm makeup-obsessed. Seriously, you'll probably run into me at a Sephora in the Lower East Side, trying on (and probably buying) yet another illuminator or matte cream lip tint. I'm also a proud Muslim who wears the headscarf (hijab) and my motto is that you should have the right to to anything and everything you want in life, just as long as you're not hurting yourself or others. Life is a beautiful little thing and we all have to make the best of it. :) Writing and drawing has been my therapy and escape for years, so I hope you enjoy my work!