This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Adelphi chapter.
     We all know that Black Friday means crazy deals and even crazier circumstances. Whether you’re storming a big department store or hitting up your local mall, Black Friday is always teeming with people. It sounds like the perfect day – who wouldn’t want to take part in a great sale? But many people choose not to participate in Black Friday shopping because of the chaos that is associated with it. We’ve all seen those news stories about people getting trampled in the rush of the store opening. And with Black Friday right around the corner, you might be contemplating whether or not you should wake up at the crack of dawn to get some sales in. With all the excitement that surrounds the day, how can you even tell if it’s worth it or not? Well have no fear collegiettes, here is a list of pros and cons to help you figure it out. 

PROS:
  • You get to take advantage of all the insane sales at your favorite stores.
  • You get to feel the rush of being in a crowd of Black Friday shoppers.
  • You can score that dress you’ve been eyeing since last month.
  • You will totally have some funny stories to tell your friends when you’re done!
  • You will be able to say that you actually went shopping on Black Friday, which is an exciting feat.
  • You’ll feel better about your purchases because they’re all on sale.

CONS:
  • It does get very crowded so you will get stuck in a massive crowd of crazed shoppers.
  • Stores will sell out of items very quickly.
  • You have to wake up super early in order to make it in time.
  • You’re more likely to spend more money than you planned on because of the deals.
  • You’re probably going to be exhausted by the second store you visit – you’ve been up early and you’re fighting your way through a ton of people.
  • You’re dream item may just be ripped out of your hands by someone else who has also been eyeing it. 

I’ve been Black Friday shopping a few times and I have to say that I didn’t find it to be that worth it, but I have friends who absolutely love it. So collegiettes, if you’re willing to brave the early morning after Thanksgiving to score those shoes then you go get ’em! But, if you’re like me, and don’t want to be shoved into a crowd of people for a pair of earrings, then skip the shopping Friday, and wait for Cyber Monday – where you can get crazy sales from the comfort of your own couch. (And a cup of coffee in hand!) Happy Holidays, collegiettes, and happy shopping!
Writer for Her Campus - Adelphi, involved on campus, lover of Saturday Night Live.