This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

The Ten Top Autumn Staples!

The time has come – the leaves are changing colour, the colder weather is drawing in, and it’s finally more acceptable to walk around in large baggy jumpers and drink hot chocolate all the time! Autumn is finally here and I’ve compiled a list of the ten must-haves for this Autumn season:

1. A large baggy jumper. This is the essential piece of clothing one must have. Perfect for snuggling up with in bed, throwing over some jeans and a top to protect from the chill or wearing in those cold lecture halls. If you’re looking for one, Topshop have a great AW16 jumper collection at the moment, I recently bought this blue one below and have had lots of compliments about it! 

Source: topshop.com

1. The boyfriend jean. Yes, I know, not everyone likes them and not everyone can pull them off, but paired with the jumper above and some cute ankle boots or small heels you’ll look adorable and then suddenly everyone will be buying them!

Source: chictopia.com

1. Whittard of Chelsea Hot Chocolate. Hands down, Whittard’s do the best hot chocolate I’ve ever tasted. They have a huge range of flavours including spiced and crème brulee, my favourite is the orange flavour. Perfect for curling up with on a rainy day reading a book.

Source: whittard.co.uk

1. Berry lipstick. Nothing says autumn more than a dark-coloured lipstick. Pair that with some matching nails and you’ll fit right in. Glastonberry by Charlotte Tilbury is a signature berry lipstick priced at £23, but for those on a budget, a good dupe is Rimmel’s Lasting Finish Kate Moss burgundy lipstick at a more modestly priced £5.49.

Source: charlottetilbury.com

1. The trench coat. You can look stylish and warm in a trench coat, and it’s perfect for keeping the rain off your trousers while looking effortlessly chic. My favourites so far have been at Zara, H&M and Hobbs, while ASOS also stock some classic coats as well as some wackier ones!

Source: ASOS.com

1. A slow cooker. This may seem a bit out of place in this list but they are perfect for putting in meat or vegetables and leaving to cook slowly throughout the day, so when you come back home from lectures you already have a meal waiting for you. My slow cooker is invaluable; I use it to cook anything from curries to soup to stews! You end up spending less on food each week as each meal will end up lasting you for at least three or four days. Best places to buy one are Lakeland, John Lewis or online via Amazon. They are cheaper than you may think, you can buy a perfectly decent one for between £20-30!

Source: johnlewis.com

1. Candles, but not just any type of candle, autumn scented candles. And no, I don’t mean the PSL candles, I mean those candles that fill your home with the wonderful, comforting aroma of autumn. Vanilla latte, spiced orange, marshmallow and cinnamon are all flavours I have picked up recently. If you are looking for some I would recommend trying Yankee Candles, Bath and Body Works, The White Company or Busy Bee Candles.

Source: bathandbodyworks.com

1. The poncho. Yet another clothing item which makes one look instantly autumnal, perfect to just slip on over a thick shirt with jeans and some boots. They range in styles, from long and plain to shorter and patterned, and as we’re in Scotland you could even have a tartan twist! Jigsaw, H&M and Debenhams are popular high street options, my favourite is this delicate pink one from Phase Eight:

Source: houseoffraser.co.uk

1. Boots. Perfect for splashing in puddles or dashing through leaves. Ensure you get waterproof ones because in Aberdeen you are guaranteed rain at least five times a week! Wear either with a skirt and tights or some jeans and a jumper. They can be heeled, fur-lined, ankle or long boots, whatever takes your fancy. I spotted one nice ones in Clarks just this week:

Source: clarks.co.uk

1. And finally our last must-have. As a lover of all things Halloween (Okay, we know Halloween is over but it is an autumn essential) this is something I have every October in my shopping basket. A pumpkin. The best thing about pumpkins is that when you’ve finished carving your scary face you can use the filling in soup (utilising your handy slow cooker) or even as a healthy addition to your breakfast smoothie. It tastes delicious as well as creating a spooky decoration to your Halloween party. Check out BBC’s Good Food recipe for pumpkin soup – http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7730/pumpkin-soup.

Source: bbcgoodfood.com. 

I am a second year student studying Geology and Petroleum Geology at the University of Aberdeen! Soon to be embarking on a semester abroad at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver!