Photoshop without Permission

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Photoshop without Permission

Kylie Jenner is no stranger to being accused of using a lil bit of the good old Photoshop herself, but the tables have turned when she blasted pap agency X17 on Twitter, claiming they photoshopped photos of her.  In the photos in question it definitely appears Kylie has a baby bump, and the photos have only added fuel to the rumours about her alleged pregnancy.

Kylie tweeted:  ‘First of all if you’re going to photoshop my photos blogs/paps!! Check for the crooked lines in the background.2nd photo is clearly altered’. X17 came back at her with an equally scathing response, denying that they retouched the photos in any way, and claiming she was just trying to get attention. They also said: ‘We’re totally cool with Kylie pretending she’s not pregnant so she can get paid off by some magazine or TV show to make a big reveal but let’s get real, people, we KNOW she’s with child!’ OUCH!

Although it is difficult to tell for sure if the photos were photoshopped or not, Kylie is not the only one who has been subject to unwanted retouching lately. Actress Lupita Nyong’o tweeted her disappointment when the magazine Grazia had altered her hair, making her look ‘more Eurocentric.’ Grazia have since apologized, claiming that they did not know the photographer had made adjustments.

These are clearly two completely different cases, one purely fuelling celebrity gossip, the other showcasing the longstanding issue with racist undercurrents very much present in the beauty/fashion industry. What do you think? Is it right that magazines have the right to alter our perceptions of famous people, often with the lack of consent from said celeb?

Pictures: X17 and Twitter