This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Fifty Shades Darker Review

After what feels like a very long two years, the much anticipated sequel to Fifty Shades of Grey has finally arrived and it was definitely worth the wait.

To summarise, Anastasia Steele (Dakota Johnson) and Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan) very quickly get back together and get back to their very passionate and constant- more than vanilla- love making. As the pair decides to establish a ‘normal’ relationship, Anastasia struggles with her new job and the fact that one of Christian’s past submissive lovers is now stalking her. Battling this alongside his troubled past; his ever- present exes; and his near-death experience; it’s surprising we got to see a happy ending between the two.

As much as I liked the first film, it did have quite a creepy undertone to it (mainly from the fact that Christian got aroused by dominating and causing pain to the very sweet and innocent Anastasia), but this most recent film has successfully stripped away of that. Now that Christian appears to have come to terms with his real feelings for Anastasia, the pair now embarks on a proper, close-to-normal, relationship that is admirable.

There is also more to this film than simply sex and certain pieces of ‘equipment’ that go along with it. There are a few proper storylines in it that add another dimension to the film- there’s the creepy boss; the interference from Christian’s ‘teacher’ Mrs Robinson; and the mentally unstable ex who wants to get rid of Anastasia.

So, Fifty Shades Darker certainly has a lot more to offer than its prequel, and I would definitely recommend you go and see for yourself! Now it’s just another two years to wait until the story is complete. 

Third year student studying History and International Relations.