This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Films to Watch When You Need a Good Cry

We’ve all been there; it’s been a tough day at work, you’re stressed with uni deadlines, you’ve had a big fight with your parents, the guy you were seeing has just told you he actually likes your best friend more than you, you know, the usual stuff. It’s just been one of those weeks and all you want to do is sit down in front of the TV, put on a film and have a good old cry. From classic chick flicks to Oscar winners, these films are sure to get the water works going.

A Walk to Remember

If you’re in the mood for a cliché romantic drama then this Nicholas Sparks story is just for you. You may cringe now looking back at some parts of the noughties classic but the innocent love story with the tragic ending will be sure to make you shed a tear or two. The film also became available on Netflix last year so perfect for a post-break up day (or week) in bed.

Brooklyn

Brooklyn tells the story of a girl from Ireland who emigrates to America and falls in love with an Italian boy. It shows Ellis trying to navigate her way through 1950s Brooklyn, dealing with a variety of issues along the way. It’s an incredibly moving and beautifully shot film and Saorsie Ronan makes you relate to Ellis’s struggles so much. The last scene gets me every time.  

The Descendants

When you watch the trailer for this film you might think that it is more of a comedy than a tragedy but trust me, you will cry the whole time. Starring George Clooney, who lives with his family in Hawaii, it follows their heartache as their wife and mother is involved in a tragic accident and left in a coma. I saw this film when it first came out in the cinema – the mixture of the dad trying to reconnect with his daughters and the tragedy of the accident make it emotional from start to finish.

Atonement

Atonement is my favourite film ever made. It is so beautifully shot, the scene of Keira Knightly running out of the house in the green dress is enough to make me cry. The chemistry between her and James McAvoy is amazing and the story of this wartime love is so touching. The final few scenes are heart breaking and the film becomes even more moving each time you watch it.

Moonlight

Moonlight won the Academy Award this year for best picture. When watching the trailer I actually didn’t expect to find it so touching. The film presents three stages in the life of the main character and the difficulties that he faces. Moonlight doesn’t really make you ugly cry, but it will definitely make you shed a few tears because the actors throughout make you feel so much for the characters. Mahershala Ali’s performance alone is worth watching the film for.

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

Watch this film alone. Don’t read about it beforehand, have the tissues ready and watch this film alone. Let me tell you now, this is the saddest film I have ever seen. You will cry so much not just because of its heart-rending sadness but because it will make you so unbelievably angry at the world. You could watch all the films on this list at once and you would still not cry as much as when you watch this. Be warned that if you are in need of good cry for whatever reason this might actually make you feel worse. It is so heart breaking.

Pictures: Goggle images