This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Aberdeen chapter.

Kayla Itsines… every 20 something girl knows the name and if you don’t then you should! Kayla is a 24-year-old personal trainer from Australia who has taken the world by storm through her Instagram and Facebook accounts where she promotes healthy living through her ‘Bikini Body Guide’. Kayla says that fitness is her passion and that “having the ability to touch the lives of so many people has been the most rewarding part of my practice!”

You may be wondering why we’re rabbiting on about Kayla Itsines when this is a Campus Cutie article… Well this week HC were lucky enough to sit down for a chat with Campus Cutie Maya Stone who is Aberdeen University’s very own Kayla! Maya has been published by Kayla on social media as one of her many success stories so we sat down with Maya to find out just how hard it is to get that bikini body and why she’s been inspired by Kayla.

HC: Firstly Maya, can you give us a little introduction to yourself?

Maya: I am 21 years old studying for an MA in Psychology at the University of Aberdeen, but I’m originally from Cupar in Fife. At the moment I don’t really have much spare time as I’m in my final year at University. Fourth year has been a big step up, but when I do get some time off I love to go find somewhere new to explore, usually a hill to climb. I’ve been studying in Aberdeen for three years but have only recently started to take advantage of exploring what it has to offer outside of the city.

HC: That sounds like great fun! I’ve always wanted to do a bit of hill climbing myself but can never find the time. Are you involved in any sports or societies at University?

Maya: I’m not involved in any clubs at University, but I’ve always been a runner. I became a member of my local running club when I was 8 years old and my passion for it has never faded. My boyfriend and I are signing up for our first half marathon next year to raise money for Alzheimer’s Research UK.

HC: Wow Maya, sounds like your life is go-go-go! Can I ask when you first heard about Kayla Itsines and what made you decide to try it?

Maya: I found Kayla Itsines through Instagram, like most people I think. I think I bought the guides in 2nd year actually, after refresher’s week had taken its toll with the calories from alcohol consumption, but I didn’t get round to sticking to the guide until Colin started to do it with me.

HC: I agree that most people find Kayla through Instagram. I have lots of friends who have bought the guide but never seen someone stick to it as rigorously as you. You mention that your boyfriend Colin also takes part in the guide; do you think that it’s easier to complete the challenge with someone else?

Maya: I definitely do. I can’t help but laugh thinking about the times we’ve been working out and one of us has just given up and pulled a massive strop and its down to the other one to coax them out of it and keep them going, it’s usually me. It’s not just for girls either, Colin loves doing it! He does a lot more in addition to it than me but he’s definitely seen progress from it!

HC: Sounds like you’re really dedicated to sticking to it and it sounds great you can do it together, I’m very impressed I have to say! As you’re in your fourth year of university you must have a lot on your plate! How much of your time do you spend working out and do you feel like it’s a huge lifestyle change? 

Maya: The guide is a 12-week resistance circuit training programme. Each work out is two rounds of two different circuits where you complete the exercises as many times as you can in seven minutes, so it only takes 30 minutes. I definitely recommend it! As long as you learn to enjoy the process I don’t think it’s a huge change to your lifestyle and you get used to the routine.

HC: That part doesn’t sound tooooo difficult! How do you handle the food side of the guide? Do you stick to what Kayla recommends (as it’s pretty strict!)?

Maya: We actually don’t stick to the food guide, we just use it to get ideas for meals. Sticking to it will be the next step for us but at the moment our love for pizza is just too great!

HC: Finally, can you tell me what you see yourself doing in the future, as in after uni, and does it involve fitness and a healthy lifestyle?

Maya: I’m looking into postgraduate degrees at the moment, but health and fitness is something I just enjoy so I will always be involved in it in some way or another!

So there we have it, Aberdeen’s very own fitness guru! Thanks Maya for sharing your experience with us.

If you fancy checking out Kayla’s guide then check out www.kaylaitsines.com or her Instagram @kayla_itsines. Similarly, why not have a look at Maya’s Instagram for some ideas on how to stay fit and healthy while at uni and how to incorporate Kayla’s guide into real uni life. You can find the lovely lady @cgm_ms.

HCXO<3

I am a fourth year law student studying LLB Hons and about to enter the scary world of work. My passion is gymnastics however I recently suffered an injury putting me out of the sport for 2 years so I've decided to give writing a go. My favourite things are a relaxing playlists, gin and finding a good book.
Laura Rennie is currently a fifth year Diploma in Legal Practice student at the University of Aberdeen. After four years studying in the Granite City she couldn't quite drag herself away from it so decided to stick around for one more year. Previously a features writer and secretary of Her Campus Aberdeen when it was founded, she is now very excited to be captaining the little pink ship this year. She loves cups of tea, fairy lights, musicals, trashy TV and is a blogger and member of Her Campus Blogger Network in her spare time.