Ever wanted to get inside a girl’s mind? Want to know whether all girls are crazy, or if you just don’t quite understand them (hint: it’s the 2nd one…)? Luckily, Real Live College Girl Cassidy is here to answer all your questions about women and relationships, with poise, charisma, and a little bit of humor. And don’t worry, she won’t judge you on your questions… unless you seem cute. Girls—pass this onto your guy friends and boyfriends, stat!
What is the most important quality a girl looks for in a guy if she wants a long-lasting relationship?
- SMU Softie
“this smart guy gets all the girls in his Kindergarten class”
This is a great question to ask because, yes, girls looking for a long-lasting relationship look for different qualities in a guy than girls looking for just a hook-up buddy. Unfortunately, not all girls look for the same qualities, but I surveyed as many girls as I could to come up with the Top 5 Most Desirable Qualities in a Long-Term Boyfriend:
- Smart. If a girl is looking for someone to have a real relationship with, she doesn’t want to hear about how you cheated on your finals or how you might fail one of your classes. She would rather hear about the A you got on your final paper, and the cool project you’re working on for your extracurricular. Girls want a smart guy because smart means that you won’t become a deadbeat college graduate with no job… No girl wants to date that guy. Smart guys are also, in general, more in tune with girls’ needs because they’re smart enough to notice what a girl likes and dislikes. So, if a girl sees that you’re smart, she’ll have more faith that you will treat her well and do what she likes!
- Funny. Yep, you’ve heard it before, and it’s true – girls like guys who can make them laugh. If a girl is laughing, it means she’s also smiling. If she’s smiling, she’s probably happy, and who doesn’t want to be happy in a relationship? Being funny also makes you a good candidate for a girl to show off to her friends because you can joke around with them instead of being boring and serious.
- Ambitious. This one goes along with what I said about girls not wanting to date anyone who’s going to be a failure after graduation. Girls want an ambitious guy who has big dreams and expectations for himself and will do whatever it takes to achieve them. You don’t have to have your whole life planned out, but as long as you have big goals, you’ll earn some bonus points in the girl department.
- Adventurous. Adventurous basically means “not boring.” You don’t have to take a girl hiking or go on a camping trip, but girls still want their boyfriends to be adventurous and spontaneous. Don’t take her on the same date to the same restaurant all the time—instead, try new, adventurous activities together. Trying things together that neither of you have done can bring you a lot closer because you are sharing something that you’ll probably remember for a long time—and she’ll think it’s romantic that you want to share that with her!
- Health-conscious. Being athletic doesn’t mean you have to go to the gym every day or have a perfectly defined six-pack. But, girls want to know that the attractive guy they’re with right now isn’t going anywhere—whether you date for one year or 20 years. Girls don’t like to admit it, but they do sometimes daydream and think about the future, and they probably want you to be in it (and looking good)! They want to know that you’re not going to have a heart attack or anything else bad happen to you because you don’t exercise. So, put on those running shoes, and go work out for your woman!
Of course, there are also a couple of long-term boyfriend qualities that go without saying, such as trustworthiness and thoughtfulness.
So there you have it, Softie! If you have all five of those qualities, you should have a girlfriend in no time! Just try to limit yourself to having one girlfriend at a time, okay?