As a single gal, there are times when it’s difficult to see the perks of your boyfriend-less lifestyle (for example, that time when you made the poor choice to see the latest Nicholas Sparks book-turned-movie and began to forget all the perfectly legitimate reasons you broke up with your ex).
But no worries, Her Campus is here to help! Let this list remind you of all the perks of being a Beyoncé-certified single lady; you’ll be back to reveling in your independence in no time and loving life in the land of the singles.
1. You can spend the entire day watching Bravo television without anyone complaining about it.
2. You never have to choose between hanging out with him or your friends.
3. It’s one less person you have to buy holiday and birthday presents for.
4. No one is going to yell at you for hogging the bed.
5. There are endless opportunities for you to partake in a random dance floor make-out.
6. The only person who will experience your bad morning breath is you.
7. You can rest assured that you’re not the dreaded “boyfriend girl.” You know, that girl that can’t not be in a relationship. Oh, hey, Kristin Cavallari. We didn’t miss you.
8. You won’t feel guilty about feasting your eyes upon the hot shirtless men at the gym.
9. There’s no one holding you back from studying abroad.
10. If you want to watch ABC Family’s Saturday night double feature of The Notebook and A Walk to Remember while sobbing into your bowl of ice cream, you can. And you can love it.
11. Your eight-hour solo shopping spree is not going to push anyone to the brink of madness, like it would if you had a boyfriend in tow.
12. “Shit Single Girls Say” exists for your viewing entertainment, and it’s satisfying knowing that somewhere out there, a fabulous gay man understands you.
13. You never have to watch him and his friends play video games for hours on end.
14. Ryan Gosling’s filmography is 36 titles long.
15. No one is there to witness the ghastly sight of you wearing your glasses and retainer to bed.
16. You won’t suffer from constant stubble-burn. Never struggle to explain away your irritated pink-skinned chin again.
17. Did you see what happened to Heidi Montag? That’s a girl who could have used a few more years of the single life, and you’re certainly not following in those plastic footsteps.
18. No need to be ashamed of the picture of your latest celebrity-crush that’s hanging over your bed… or the one you’re using as your screensaver.
19. You’re free from the drone of ESPN... free at last!
20. You can lay poolside without fear of the male archetypal scoop-and-throw into the water.
21. All those guilty pleasures you like to indulge in (we’re looking at you, Pretty Little Liars)? No longer “guilty,” just “pleasures.”
22. You can take as long as you want to get ready to go out without worrying about him sitting there waiting for you, meaning it’s perfectly OK to reenact Taylor Swift’s “You Belong With Me” music video over, and over, and over...
23. No worries about what he’s in the mood to eat, the choice is yours!
24. Nothing attracts Facebook comments from forgotten man candy like a recently posted “Single” relationship status. Get excited.
25. You can wear opaque lipstick and not have to worry about him making him look like a drag queen post-smooch.
26. Sometimes just having a crush on someone is amazingly fun, and so is writing “Mrs. Aaron Samuels” all over your notebook à la middle school.
27. There won’t be any unnecessary jealously about you hanging out with your guy friends. Bro out.
28. You can wear your ridiculously comfortable – but also hideous – pairs of underwear without having to worry about someone seeing them.
29. You’ll have enough time to juggle all those intramural sports, Greek-life events and club activities you love so much without dropping the ball on anything. Resident overachiever and proud!
30. Wing Night? Oh, you mean Pinkberry Night?
31. You don’t have to impress two sets of parents. Only your own. OK, maybe not even your own.
32. “Buy one, get one free” actually benefits you. You were never a great sharer, anyway.
33. There’s always the exciting potential of a first date with someone new.
34. You and your fellow un-attached friends can really get into belting out Beyonce's “Single Ladies.” Step 2: Learn the dance.
35. Dinner for one is way cheaper than dinner for two, and with your internship “salary,” “cheap” is your new favorite word.
36. Relationships can be rocky, but pinning your perfect relationship on Pinterest? Totally drama-free.
37. You don’t have to censor your “Never Have I Ever” answers about your exes.
38. You have much more free time to catch up on all those books you’ve been meaning to read. Fifty Shades of Grey, anyone?
39. If you land an awesome internship in a far-away city, you won’t feel guilty about leaving him behind.
40. You never have to have that awkward “Time of the Month” chat when things get a little too heated... no matter how we say it, it never ever comes out sounding cute.
41. Your chances of catching that cold that’s blazing through your town are halved. Tell the world you have the immune system to beat all immune systems; they’ll never know your secret.
42. You always get to control the remote.
43. You appreciate Kelly Clarkson’s “Miss Independent” on a whole other level.
44. You can paint your nails without him whining about the smell.
45. You don’t have to deal with anyone’s mood swings but your own, and they’re really enough to handle already, aren’t they? Or is that just us…?
46. You won’t have to experience that nervous sweaty feeling that meeting the ex-girlfriend-turned-good-friend would put you through.
47. You're free to casually flirt with your coffee shop's cashier. You’re also free to casually accept the free coffee or pastries he may or may not choose to bestow upon you.
48. No one will eat the leftovers that you were so looking forward to eating for breakfast the next morning before you get your shot at ‘em.
49. You can enjoy playing the field. In fact, you’re the star forward.
50. Did I mention Ryan Gosling?