When going through a dry spell, recovering from a recent breakup or successfully maintaining your perpetually single lifestyle, it can seem like the entire world suddenly cares about your love life. Everyone from long-lost friends from high school to old neighbors and family friends whom you haven’t seen in a while all seem to ask the same dreaded question: “Are you seeing anyone?”
They don’t mean any harm; they’re just trying to ask you about your life. But when you’re so used to hearing this question and so annoyed of saying no, sometimes it’s fun to switch up your responses. Here are 21 different ways to respond to those curious minds.
1. “Yes, I’m actually seeing three different people right now…on different continents. I’m really good at multitasking and communicating.”
2. Walk away.
3. Burst into tears and babble hysterically until he or she apologizes: “I thought you knew…he was in the gross anatomy lab…my friend called me asking for my favorite pizza topping…he was with cadavers all day…she never knew I hated pepperoni…and then there was the snake tattoo on his arm…”
4. “I’m going to Rome for a year and I don’t want to be tied down when I’m surrounded by all those Italian men who are just dying to bring me home to their mothers and feed me homemade pasta.”
5. “I’m definitely in a relationship with Barefoot Moscato. Does that count?”
6. “I’m joining a convent. I’m really looking forward to taking that vow of chastity.”
Marisa is a sophomore at the University of Missouri - Columbia (Mizzou), where she is pursuing a degree in Journalism with an emphasis in Magazine Writing and a minor in Spanish. In addition to writing for Her Campus, she is an avid blogger of all things boys on her blog lifeisarom-com.blogspot.com.
A Saint Louis native, she’s a Midwestern girl with big dreams. After graduation, she hopes to put her love of writing to work by becoming a contributing writer at one of her favorite magazines: Allure, Glamour and Seventeen. But until then, she’s perfectly content with spending time with family and friends and sipping strawberry-banana smoothies by the pool.