We’re halfway into summer and the 100-degree days and heat advisories aren’t going away any time soon. That’s why Her Campus is sharing our favorite ways to take a break from the sun and chill out from the blazing hot summer! Instead of laying on your couch in a dark basement wishing you lived in Antarctica, try out one of our fun ways to cool down from the hot, hot heat.
1. Make your own slip n’ slide. Transform your outdoor BBQ into an absolute blast with a homemade slip n’ slide. Find an old tarp, spray it with a hose and let the slipping and sliding begin.
2. Snack on frozen fruit. It’s the perfect afternoon snack when you’re craving a sweet treat that can cool you down. Try topping your morning cereal with frozen fruit for a new take on breakfast. We recommend frozen bananas dipped in chocolate. Beware of the brain freeze!
3. Go ice skating. Turn this fun winter outing into a summertime activity that will definitely bring your body temperature down; it’s a nice alternative to fireworks and bonfires. Whip up a batch of frozen hot chocolate after you’re done skating.
4. Make iced coffee. “Making my own homemade iced coffee every night (for my mid-morning commute) is a tasty and cost-efficient way to keep me cool,” says Kenyatta, a senior at the University of Texas at Austin.
5. Go to an ice bar. If you can make a trip to one of the exotic locations that houses ice bars, this is a perfect way to spend a hot summer night. And plus, it’s way cooler (literally and figuratively) than going to an ordinary bar. If you don’t have access to an actual ice bar, order a frozen drink or one with a lot of ice and pretend like it’s the real thing.
6. Put your pillow in the freezer. Do this right before bed on a hot summer night and fall fast asleep. You won’t have to worry about flipping your pillow over to get to the cold side.