Rockbrook is an overnight summer camp for girls located in the “heart of a wooded mountain” in Brevard, North Carolina. Founded in 1921, our summer camp continues to provide an exciting and enriching, fun and formative, camp experience for girls and teens ages 6 – 16.
The PAID full-time Internship in Social-Emotional Learning is a rigorous six week program at Rockbrook Camp for Girls (Brevard, NC) that provides student interns training and direct experience applying a whole-child approach to supporting learners’ emotional needs in a group setting. An intern that completes this program will be prepared to apply Social-Emotional Learning best practices in their classroom, including techniques to improve children’s self-awareness, self-management, social-awareness, and relationship skills.
Eligible students will meet the following requirements:
- Pursuing careers in Education
- At least 18 years of age
- One year of participation within an education major or educational leadership program
- Previous classroom practicum experience is preferred, however, a reference from the student's academic advisor will be considered in lieu of this experience
- An introduction to core principles of socio-emotional learning in the context of a camp community
- Weekly journaling and observation prompts, including an end-of-week conference with an on-site advisor
- Shadowing and interviewing educational leaders to learn from their experience in different educational settings
- Completion of a case study, including a reflection on how to apply best practices in their own classrooms
- Presentation of a culminating project to showcase the intern’s learning process and findings from their participation in the program
- A formal evaluation assessing the intern’s overall growth and performance throughout the program
Summer 2017 Dates:
Early: Training week (May 28 – June 3, 2017) + 5 weeks (June 4 – July 6, 2017)
Late: Training week (May 28 – June 3, 2017) + 5 weeks (July 9 – August 10, 2017)
Internship candidates must complete an online Internship Application. The application includes a series of essay questions and four professional references. A recommendation from the candidate’s academic advisor is required.
Internship candidates will participate in two rounds of interviews: the first with Rockbrook’s Hiring Director and the final with Rockbrook’s Internship Advisor.
Full information about the internship, including the application process, can be found here: www.rockbrookcamp.com/staff/