Hanley Wood is the premier media, information, and marketing services company serving the residential and commercial housing and construction industry. Hanley Wood’s Design Group seeks an intelligent, enthusiastic recent college graduate interested in design and architecture journalism for an internship in the company's Washington, D.C. headquarters. This intern would contribute to all four of the Design Group's publications: ARCHITECT, Residential Architect, Architectural Lighting, and EcoBuildingPulse.
Hanley Wood’s intern positions provide a unique opportunity to gain valuable insight and experience with a digital media company. Interns will gain important insights into the media and publishing world, while enjoying a fun and worthwhile experience. This position will offer 30-40 hours per week at $15.00/hour. Specific schedules are flexible within our core business hours (8:30AM – 5:30PM).
The Editorial Intern should possess exceptional writing and editing skills. Meticulous attention to detail and factual accuracy are crucial skills in this role. This individual should also be comfortable with social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr.
Responsibilities will include:
- Fact-checking page proofs for the print magazines
- Writing succinct, intelligent, creative, and cogent copy that drives traffic to Hanley Wood websites
- Writing brief articles on architecture and design (200-500 words)
- Conducting web research to find interesting products and story ideas
- Promoting content on social media platforms
- Community Management: managing day-to-day community management, audience engagement, page and content moderation, and general outreach
- Conducting research and interviews, managing special projects
- Attend news and art meetings, as well as events
All qualified program participants will possess the following Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Art, or a related field required. Recent college graduates preferred. College seniors will also be considered for the program.
- Demonstrated research, writing, and telephone skills
- Ability to adhere to all deadlines
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong sense of professionalism
- Ability to multi-task and manage long-term projects and daily news stories simultaneously
- Organized self-starter with a positive attitude
- Desire to broaden knowledge of emerging technologies
- Knowledge of content management systems a plus
- Must display the maturity required to work in a casual, informal office setting
- Must be able to work from the Washington, D.C., office (no teleworking)
About Hanley Wood:
Hanley Wood is the leading business-to-business media company serving the housing and construction industry, and one of the top 10 B2B media companies in the country.
We enjoy a corporate culture that simultaneously encourages high levels of creativity and productivity. Those who thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and are motivated by personal and team success will find a challenging and rewarding career here at Hanley Wood.
You owe it to yourself to work for a dynamic company. Employee satisfaction is important to us, so we provide competitive compensation and a generous benefits package all while working within a dynamic workplace setting.
If you meet the required skills and qualifications and want to learn more, apply online at www.hanleywood.com/careers.