You’re on the go. You have meetings and classes and work and even more things scribbled on the pages of your planner. Nighttime rolls around, and you realize that unidentifiable grumbling noise is, in fact, coming from your tummy. Here’s your dilemma—you have work in an hour but still need to show yourself some grub love. You don’t have time to prepare a dinner from scratch, so your eye wanders to the nifty little machine conveniently located on your countertop—your microwave. Jackpot.Your microwaveable meals don’t have to be limited to Lean Cuisines and TV dinners, though. A variety of products that are yummy and full of nutrients can be created quickly. Get ready for a seven-day menu of munchy meals that you can enjoy on the go!
For any busy Her Campus collegiette, one item that is a great investment is a solid and sturdy microwave-safe container. You can find one at Target, and Tupperware also sells a variety of different kinds of microwave-safe dishes on their website. One great buy is their “Vent N’ Serve” set of two containers for less than fifty bucks.
For the preparation of these meals you will need:
- Microwave-safe container
- Cutting board
- Potato peeler
- Vegetable scrubber
- Dishes that are microwave-safe
- A casserole dish
- One large bowl
- Mixing spoons
- Cutting knives (preferably not butter knives)
Sunday Night: Rice and Beef Stew
Prep time: 5 Minutes
- One pouch Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice (either Whole Grain or Original)
- One can Dinty Moore Beef stew (7.5 oz)
Rice (as directed by Uncle Ben’s pouch instructions):
- Squeeze pouch to separate rice.
- Tear to vent.
- Heat on HIGH for 90 seconds.
- Remove from microwave using Cool Touch area on untorn side
- Pour entire contents of can into the microwaveable-safe dish, covered. Heat for three minutes or until hot.
- Pour the bag of rice onto a large dish and then pour the beef stew on top.
Monday Night: Chili Dogs
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- 1 pack Ball Park Beef Franks (contains 8)
- 1 pack of hot dog buns
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 15 oz. can Hormel Less Sodium Chili with beans
- Mustard (optional)
- Wrap 2 franks individually in paper towels and heat for 30-35 on high.
- Pour the can’s contents into a microwave-safe bowl and cover with a paper towel.
- Heat for 90 seconds or until hot.
- Place two hot dog buns onto a plate and place the franks inside of the buns.
- If desired, squirt mustard onto the hot dog. Use a spoon to dish out the chili on top of the franks.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top.
Tuesday: Baked Potato Casserole
Prep Time: 15-20 minutes
- 3 Russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Butter or Margarine
- Chives (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Hormel Bacon toppings
- Using a potato peeler, peel three medium-to-large potatoes.
- After the potatoes are peeled, rinse them under warm water for 15 seconds. Scrub away any dirt with a vegetable brush.
- Using a fork, poke holes into the potatoes about six times all over to help them vent while in the microwave. If you skip this step, your potatoes will explode.
- Place the three potatoes inches apart on a large dish. Microwave the potatoes for 7 minutes. If the potatoes still feel hard, microwave for additional time until they are to the desired tenderness.
- Let the potatoes cool for 1-3 minutes.
- Once the potatoes have cooled, cut them into medium-sized chunks as if you were preparing mashed potatoes.
- Pour the potato chunks into your casserole dish.
- Place 1 teaspoon of butter or margarine and mix throughout (optional).
- Measure out ¼ cup of sour cream (or more depending on how much you desire) and using a spoon, mix it in with the potatoes until covered.
- Measure out ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese and spread it throughout the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle your bacon bits and chives on top of the potatoes.
Wednesday: Strawberry Vinaigrette Salad
Prep Time: 7 Minutes
- Half of a head of Iceberg lettuce
- ¼ cup shredded cheese
- 5 strawberries
- ½ cup of Wishbone Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing
- Chopped Walnuts (Optional)
- Wash and rinse your head of lettuce thoroughly.
- Using a sharp knife, cut your head of lettuce in half on your cutting board. Place the unused lettuce in a large Ziploc bag. The remaining lettuce, cut into medium-sized pieces.
- Wash and rinse your five strawberries. On your cutting board, cut the “heads” of the strawberry (the end with the leaves) off. Continue to slice your strawberry into horizontal slices.
- Place your chopped lettuce into your large bowl and toss in your strawberries. Mix in ¼ cup of shredded cheese and chopped walnuts (if desired).
- Pour ½ cup of Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing. Using your mixing spoon, toss your ingredients.