A pretty Valentine's Day makeup look can be tricky to achieve – some shades of pink eye shadow can make you look like you have pink-eye, and some bold lipsticks can make you look like you’re trying too hard, so what is a girl to do? In short, the answer is never do too much with your makeup, but for a more detailed answer check out these tips below!
Option 1: Pink eye shadow
Note that I said some shades of pink eye shadow make you look sick – not all of them! If you want to go the pink eye shadow route, make sure you do the following:
1. Use brown and taupe shadows as well to balance out the bright color.
2. Avoid using a hot pink shadow and go for a duo chrome shadow that has pink tones! (Expensive Pink by MAC is a great option!)
3. DO NOT apply the pink tone under your eyes. This is when it can start to make your eyes look rubbed and tired.
Option 2: Keep it neutral
If you think putting a pink color on your eyes might be a little too out-there, that’s okay also. You can spice up your eye look many other ways:
1. Use a bright gold eye shadow on the inner half of your upper and lower eye lid. This will make your eyes look bright and awake.
2. Darken up your eyeliner and lashes! Create a thick winged out line on your upper lid, and apply a lengthening and thickening mascara to your upper and lower lashes.
3. Add a pop of color to your eye liner. Once you have applied liner on your upper lid, apply a colored liner right on top of it (like gold!). The flash of gold when you blink will be eye-catching!
Option 1: Bold and Bright
If you choose to go for a more subtle eye look, you can wear a bright lip color to add some Valentine’s Day color. Follow the guidelines below to achieve the perfect bright lip:
1. Always line your lips! It doesn’t really matter what color liner you use, just make sure you use one – this way the lipstick won’t bleed outside your natural lip line.
2. Apply the color with a lipstick brush. The small size of a lip brush will allow you to perfectly apply the color, even in the corner of your lips.
3. Carry your lipstick with you all night! As much as many brands try to say their product will last 8+ hours, most of the time this is not the case (especially if dinner and kisses are involved!)
Option 2: Naturally Nude
Sometimes nude lips are the way to go – especially if your guy gets a little bit intimidated by a bright color. There are a variety of nude lipsticks available, so just try to find a color that suits your skin tone and overall look the best! Also:
1. Exfoliate your lips beforehand. Many neutral lipsticks are a bit drying, and if you don’t remove the dead skin beforehand you lips could end up looking a little bit flakey.
2. Mix different shades to – in a way – contour your lips. Start by applying a darker color all over your lips, then apply a lighter only in the center. This will make your lips look plump and kissable!
3. Carry along a lip-gloss. If you don’t feel like re-applying lip stick all night, then just bring along your favorite lip-gloss.
There you have it! What are you going to do for your Valentine's Day makeup? Let us know in the comments below!